Pulling on the leash

We have a husky and he pulls on the leash all the time... how do I stop that? He is very strong too. Also, does anyone know how to teach a dog to listen LOL I know that sounds dumb but he just doesnt listen and if he gets off the leash he is GONE. Help

jen_wikstrom

Asked by jen_wikstrom at 12:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• my dogs do the same thing. i just pull back on it or stop walking until they stop pulling my male gets the point but not my female she just keeps on pullin
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i found at walmart- the collars that are like choke chains- but not chains. They put just enough resistance on the dog to they go "dang that sucks" and they learn that pulling leads to that feeling. I think it is more humane than the chains too
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• lol. I have a Cairn Terrior that does the same thing. I just got a four foot leash that she hates and I hold it about half way down so she can't walk anywhere but beside me. And everytime she pulls, I stop and pull her back. Hopefully the "i'm choking" feeling will clue her in at some point.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I Would go on the web site for Ceaser Milan (Dog Whisper) he has calors for sell that go around the dogs nose and neck to help stop pulling. I use one to train the big dogs that are i n my day care. I have seen them on line only at his site, but I am sure there are other training equipment sites for dogs that can help you get the dog under control. When you walk your dog do not use a long line. A choke collar if worn correctly , you can snap it and turn into the dog to change directions to the left as you need to dog to be on that side to change that direction and use your collar in the right way,Get together with a training group to help you out. Pet Smart has one for sure.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Get him a harness, the kind that goes around his chest, all you have to do is pull back and they will stop because it constricts their breathing, it's the only thing that works for my St. Bernard.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have found this wonderful thing that they sell at petsmart and petco (some vets even carry them). It's called the Halti or a Gentle Leader (I personally like the halti better) There is a piece that goes around the dogs muzzle (they can still open their mouth) and then it goes around the dogs neck. I can't explain it very well here but let me tell you it works. If the dog goes to pull it'll actually turn their head to face you and you just tell them a command like Easy. When he starts walking nicely give him a treat. I love the halti though b/c it has a thing that links itself back to the collar incase he slipsit. I would NOT use a halter b/c halters teach dogs to pull and it makes it worse.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i have a german shep/huskie mix and a full bred pitbul. my shep is about 2 and i used a chain collar to train her. which method you use really depends on your interactions with your dog. with the combonation of the choke chain and frequent trips to the park i have trained her through repetition to stay next to me even without a leash. i am currently doing the same thing with our pit and it is working with him too. just be consistant and just like kids they will eventually understand and do what pleases you.
    KC27

Answer by KC27 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have a Husky as well. He was the same way. Go to the pet store and buy a Halti. Unlike a choke chain, these nifty little devices go around the muzzle and when the dog pulls the leash, it jerks their head to the side and makes them sit or atleast stop pulling. I works wonders!!
    momiwant1

Answer by momiwant1 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ive heard of ALOT of huskies that are this way! i used to have a german sheppard/husky..she was like that..my brother now has a husky, hes like that..its cuz their bred to pull doglseds..so thats what they like to do..pull pull PULLLL!! best thing is to get a good harnace or halti for him, and be consistent!! let himknow youre the one in charge and in control! when going out side, make sure YOU go first and he follows, youre walking down the hall, hes lying in the middle of the ground, make him move outta your way..dont let him think hes the boss!! best of luck to ya! they are a beautiful dog!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• NO NO NO!!!! DON'T GET A HARNESS!!!!

HUSKIES ARE PULLING DOGS. HARNESSES OFFER THEM A FULL CHEST BRACE THAT ALLOWS THEM TO PULL WITH ALL THEIR BODY INSTEAD OF JUST THEIR NECK!

My grandmother kept huskies, and because of their long, dense fur, she got one of the prong collars, and it has worked amazingly. Found at petco and petsmart, also through a vet.

http://doggonegood.proboards62.com/index.cgi?board=train&action=display&thread=27

Check out product #2... it looks like torture, but if you put it on your arm, it doesn't really pinch. With the husky fur, it more or less pokes them just to make them uncomfortable. I would make my dog drag the leash around with that collar on and get comfortable giving to it before I took him out for a walk and let him find out the hard way... (some huskies will have to learn the hard way regardless...)

GL!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2009