My son slept through the smoke alarm last night- what do I do?

My son is 5 and last night I was making my husband a pizza (he comes home from work late so son was in bed asleep already) and some of the topping fell onto the bottom of the stove and smoked a bit so my smoke alarm went off. I waved some air at it and it stopped after 5-6 beeps and I went to check on my son - his room is right there off the kitchen and he was still asleep.... Ack! What if it was a real fire??? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Put one in his room and do fire drills

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• If it was a real fire YOU would have woke up. But yes, fire drills are a good idea.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• You need to wake him up. I used to sleep through it too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• it's common.

install this kind in the child's room or just outside his door

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Well, you say it was only 5-6 beeps. If it was a real fire, it would have gone off longer, which probably would have woken him up. Plus, you would wake up and you'd be going in to get him. I don't think I'd freak out too much about this.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Is quite normal children to sleep through them they often sleep much deeper than us, you would wake your child
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2013