Nervous ticks in children.

Is this a symptom of a physical or mental illness, or is it just anxiety?? Eye blinking and head shaking in a ten year old. Normally 1-3 blinks followed by 1 head shake. He's embarrassed and doesn't seem to have much control over it.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 1:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Oh I forgot about this post and just saw your question. My son has Asperger syndrome.

Yes Aspies tend to be very smart, but yet anxious and sensitive. Many have a lot of trouble making friends as well. They tend to do better with adults, then children.

Your nephew could possibly be on the spectrum. Many aspies tend to get a later diagnosis. Age 10 is not uncommon.

http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=life_aspergers

Here is one link about AS. There is so much more that goes into just that description as it is a wide spectrum, but to give you an idea. Anxiety and tics though are very common though.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 7:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• That could be as a result of an underlying emotinal issue...ticks are a sign of repressed emotions/stress.
    Anonymous

• Could be tourettes. My soon to be ex husband has a tick where his throat kind of closes up and he makes an awful face. Look into it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Is he an anxious child normally ? I know a lot of children on the spectrum who have neurological symptoms and anxiety tend to have tics. DOES NOT mean mental illness...that is different.

My son for example has a type of autism and gets tics when he is anxious or stressed.

I do not know a lot about tourettes, but I agree maybe read into that. I think it does cause body movement tics.

I would bring it up to the pedi who could also give you a better direction of what to do since he feels embarrassed. It would be better to seek help now so he can "know" why this is happening. If it is something like tourettes there are plenty of great support groups/resources out there I am sure.

http://www.tourette-syndrome.com/

http://www.tourettes.org/index.php?id=597
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• He is my nephew I would say he's high strung. He's very intelligent but very sensitive. He's not very good at making friends.
    J9Mommy, What type of autism does he have?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My nephew is 9 and has ticks as well. He was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. He is embarrassed about his ticks. My sister had him tested for allergies. The doctor believes that, when he is off of the foods that he is allergic to, he shouldn't have too many problems with his ticks. Please check out www.medlineplus.com.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• you description sounds like terets.... like a "tick" i would have him/her observed by a professional to be sure... could be nothing, could be something, get it checked!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2009