• In the Spotlight:

My dd has a shoulder twitch- she jerks it back repeatedly. Anyone familiar with this or know any reasons it could be happening? She is 9.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm asking a similar question. I thought ticks were from anxiety but my nephew doesn't seem to have any control over it. I'll be checking back.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Maybe it is a habit she just developed, strange I know my son who is 7 yrs. old is very fridgety, first he would do this jump (actually two little hops) then he would stop. Then he would do it again every once in awhile. We told him to stop but now as time went by he started to make this piggy like sound we asked him to stop but every once in awhile he will do this.

I would like to believe if you don't make a big thing out of it they will stop on their own. I am trying so hard not to say anything any more, I have already pointed it out the rest is to just give it time... GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It sounds like Tourette Syndrome. I can't diagnose, so check with your Dr's and try and get a referral to a neurologist. If you can catch your kids on video doing these little ticks that would be great for the Dr to see, because kids don't always tick when they're in the Dr's office. You would still have something to show the Dr. http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/tourette-syndrome-3

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 1:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• it could be tourette's syndrome if it's constant, or epilepsy if it's occasionally, have her checked by a nurologist to see what the problem is. it could even be a form of anxiety, what is her mood when these ticks happen?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my mother had this same kind of problem and we took her to the doctor they told us it was called Myoclonic jerking you can go to this web site to find out more on it

http://www.ninds.nih.gov

sunshinemom

Answer by sunshinemom at 1:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ditto with MomOfJandM. The video idea is a good one.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 4:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my son dose this but he will scratch till he is red at times and he has ocd and he is also 9
    mfulks

Answer by mfulks at 6:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Many people have milder forms of tourette's like this.....My sister who is in her 40's now always had little twitches that we just kind of accepted as part of who she was, but now we know it is something like that. I would ask a doctor about it.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009