Why can't I get the haircut I'm asking for?!!

Every time I go to get my haircut (which is infrequently, because I don't have a lot of money) I tell them what I DON''T like about my hair and ask them to fix it. I tell them as best as I can what I want. I know some haircuts have names, and I think if I could just find out what to "call" this one, maybe they could get it right for once. I've looked at pictures on the internet, and I can't seem to find a good picture of what I want either, but it shouldn't be that complicated because I see every other young girl walking down the street with the cut I want!!! Let me try to describe this: I have long very straight hair. I want long choppy layers, and I want the layers to be tapered (like a haircut that's grown out) and I want NO straight edges in my hair. I hate having "square hair". Inevitably, they always leave the bottom layer as one great big square lifeless chunk. What can I do to better ask for what I want?

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 1:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Four times throughout the 90s I went to get my hair cut; I wanted to try a short style. Once I showed them a pic in a magazine... I got a mullet! The second time I took my sister with me, she had the cut I wanted.... I got a mullet! Then I showed them a picture of a short mullet and said I DON'T want that....I got a mullet!! Then I showed them pictures of the three previous mullet cuts I had gotten over the years and said DON'T DO THIS TO MY HAIR.... I WANT THIS HAIRCUT (showing a picture AGAIN of what I wanted.... I GOT A MULLET!!!!!! So I let my hair grow out and left it at that... I hate this kind of luck. I'd get the salon manager to stand over the stylist and make sure everyone understood before the scissors come out... Good luck!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ask the stylist to use a razor maybe, and tell them you want all the tips of each chunk they layer to be pointed not blunt??
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 1:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We must go to the same hair people cause I tell them what i dont want my hair to be like what is wrong with it now and how i would like it and the crazies cut my hair EXACTLY the same each time so i have gotten this horrid haircut 3 seperate times from 3 seperate people..like WTF!?!?!
    I hope you are able to get the cut you want when you go in..Good Luck
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Take a picture of someone with the haircut you want. Also it may not be that they dont know what youre talking about but it can have something to do with the texture of your hair. I have thick curly hair and I often cant get the cut I want because of my hairs texture.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you see someone with the hair you like, stop them and ask them where they get it cut. Don't worry about embarrassing them, most people will tell you right off the bat. Also, if they are nice, ask them how they style it.

Also, developing a good relationship with your stylist is key.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I go to the same cheap hairplace everytime, cuz that's what I can afford. I typically get any stylist who's available at the time. Withing the past 6 months, they hired a man, who came from a "high end" salon, and had lost his job at that place and simply needed work at the time. Let me tell you- I've never gotten a better haircut in my life. I always knew my hair had a mind of it's own, but, I never knew the "right" way to cut it could make such a difference. I have no clue what he does to my hair, so I wouldn't be able to tell another stylist what to do. But, I told him that if/when he decides to upgrade to a better shop, I will be right behind him, no matter how much he charges.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 1:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• As a former stylist, all stylist know the style you are talking about but dont know how to achieve it. I cut the style first then go back in and chop it up but cutting with the shears straight into the hair...rather than cutting straight across. It gives it the cut but makes it chopped up and undefined. When you see someone with that hairstyle ask them where they got theirs done. The place youre going may not be the place for you.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 1:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have established a really good relationship with my stylist. It does cost a little more but every time I try to save money by going to great clips or super cuts they ruin my hair. My hair grows slow too so I have had atrocious bangs for two months now...sigh...
    So I have no choice but to stick with my one favorite stylist and no matter what I ask her to do she is able to achieve the look and I feel great about it.

Oddly the first time I went to her it was for color, not cut... but I absolutely loved the cut.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You probably...need to go to a more expensive place =\
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009