Preventing head lice?

Somebody from my daughter's preschool just called to inform me that there was a kid in her class yesterday who had head lice. I know how to treat them; I got them once from a public laundromat--my head is itching just thinking about it. *Shudder.* So far, my boyfriend checked our daughter and doesn't see any bugs or nits, but she and I will both have to be wary for a few days. That's what mommies get for cuddling kiddoes, I guess. Anyway, is there anything I can do to prevent the lice from taking in the first place, if they're there? I soooo do not want to go through this!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Having had it three times and gone to war each time, the best treatment is vigilance and combing. Know the life cycle of a louse. Even if you comb and get any nits/lice, seven days later, there could be hatchings. My philosophy is metal comb every Friday. If there is a lice case, come daily looking for nits/lice. Treat as you like but comb every day for two weeks (life cycle of a louse) and go to war on the house. Heat/dry all backpacks, coats, nightgowns, towels, stuffies, clothing, etc). I did it twice a day. I suffocated and blew dry Cetaphil on my children morning and night for two weeks straight. Is it hell? Yeah. Time consuming and exhausting. Does it work. Yes. Dealing with it one time the right way is far better than months the wrong way.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Tea Tree Oil. Get it at GNC. Put a few drops on your head when you shampoo and condition. Also add it to any spray on detngler you have. It's supposed to keep them away. Good luck!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Tea tree oil!!! I swear by it! Put drops in shampoo/conditioner like mompam said!

You can buy tea tree oil in most drug stores. Also, you can buy tea tree oil shampoo.
    Lice HATE it!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Make sure you put her hair up everyday so that it isn't touching the chairs at the school, don't let her share hats or other clothing with the other kids. Wouldn't be a bad idea to treat her just in case because I think the RID protects for 30 days afterwards too so then you don't have to continuing.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• No sharing combs, brushes, hair things, like ribbons scrunchies. Anything to do with the hair.  Hats, scarfs.

Every one in the house should have their own brush and comb.

My oldest DD(when she was young). Slept in a bed with her half brother (they both were under 5 at the time).  He gave her head lice tha way.

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• there is something you can spray your house with. not sure what it is but it comes in a head lice kit. You can spray beds, pillows, blankets, dont forget your car seats too. not a lot of people think about that but lice climb from your head to them.
    Anonymous

• I have doused my kids behind the ears, on the top of their head and bangs with pure Australian Tea Tree oil and we still got it. So, while it may be a deterrant, it's not fail safe. Also, let their hair go greasy.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I had a Kindergarten teacher tell me once that lice will stay away from a head with hair that has hair spray on it. Not sure if that is true or not, but could be...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• There was a persistent case of lice at our school this year. It just seemed to go around & around. I don't know how, but we managed to avoid it.
    I think you are asking how to avoid or prevent infestation, not how to treat.
    One parent sent out a message to our family group (a lot of people were & had been in the thick of it, combing & treating, and we'd had several messages with clear instructions for treating lice) that had a few suggestions for PREVENTING lice. I think she mentioned that lice are less likely to infect if hair is dirty! lol So yes, there may be something to jeanclaudia's suggestion of "let their hair go greasy."
    I did hear the advice NOT to wash so much.
    I think the idea is that it just makes the "job" harder for the lice, even if there IS contact that could lead to an infestation. They can't manage the task of getting TO the scalp as easily. (They can't hang on as easily?)
    Google it & see, lol
    And good luck!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• A dab ov lavender essential oil behind both ears and one on the hairline at the nape of her neck.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2013