HELP! What should I do about my 5 month old?

My daughter is now 5 months and has been switched 5 times on formula. She started out on Similac Advanced, then Sesitive, then Sensitive concentrate, then to Enfimil Premium, now on Soy and nothing seems to help. He problem is she'll drink only 4 oz every 4 hours but vomits, not spits up, over half of each bottle up. We burp her often and I've gone to see my WIC center and my doctor and no one is being of any help. I don't know what to do because everyone tells me for a 5 month old she's underweight. If anyone has any advice on what I should feed her to get her the nutrients she needs but also help with her keeping it down please let me know.

Ariellokkensma

Asked by Ariellokkensma at 9:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The problem may not be the formula at all but the servings. Four ounces may be too much at once. Reduce your bottle size; smaller meals fed more often. It's how we're programmed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Man im typing to much didnt tell you what the doctor told me caused it lol. She said that the closing mechanism from the stomach to the esophagus is not fully developed and so in some babys its weak enough that the burping moving exc. is enough to cause them to vomit all there food. So it could not be a allergy at all. Just keep that in mind.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 10:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Try that tho cut out the bouncing and burping and make that feeding time quiet and head elevated no burping.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 10:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• many children with a milk protein allergy are also allergic to soy.
    tell your doc you need a prescription for WIC. In regards to a child this young, one or two bottles will let you know if the child can tolerate it. Not a whole month. Because they are supposed to be gaining and growing. Not plateauing.
    Please be proactive. Do not let WIC push you around.
    Talk to your Doc. and make children's health based decisions with him/her. They went to school for many years to learn abut children's health and growth.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• also im on wic and currently use Gerber good start protect
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 10:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• my daughter did the same thing her doctor told me what i already figured out. No burping, no vigorous movements. Let baby lay like in a bouncer or a swing so head is elevated for a hr after feedings. Works awesome with my little one she would vomit constantly before that.
    LostInMyMind

• I do feed with Dr. Browns it's the only feeding brand I use and we've cut dairy out completely and she's on soy now. She was doing well on Enfimil but my WIC center won't give me any Enfimil formula. We're just trying to see if we can find a Similac brand we could try or if we could add a little whole milk to her bottles otherwise I guess we'll be buying Enfilim which we can't really afford
    Ariellokkensma

Comment by Ariellokkensma (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• My DS puked almost every time we fed him. I'm not taking like a little spit up, I mean we had to change his outfit and sometimes we would have to change our own clothes as well. As long as your child is growing your Dr. may not feel there is need for concern. We had to put DS on lactose free formula and it got a little better, but by the time he turned 1 he wasn't doing it anymore. Hangin there and just make sure he isn't losing weight or isn't getting taller. Those would be cause for concern.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• 13 1/2 months not years!
    gawd that looked bad
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• milk protein allergy- nutramigen

my DD had this issue and was failure to thrive. the back of her head is flat because we had to keep her in a carseat (projectile vomiting)

she will always be short because it took us soooo long to resolve the feeding issue.She even spewed breast milk. Breast is best, right? not when your kid is expelling every feeding :(

My DS also had the issue. By then I had learned that I could eliminate dairy and BF exclusively. 13 1/2 and still on the boob and beginning to experiment with whole milk. Doing fine.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2013