What can I give my pup to chew on?

This pup is about 9 months old. He chews on EVERYTHING! So, we give him those rawhide bones to chew on from time to time. When we first started with those bones, one would last him almost a week. Now, it doesn't even last a DAY!! I am not going to spend that kind of money on bones for this dog, to get him 2 bones a day. (Besides, I don't think he should have that many, right?) Anyway, what can I give him to chew on, that he cannot tear up so easily? He has some braided ropes, which he loves, but he seems to be sooo attracted to rubber/plastic, paper, etc. He is a schnauzer, so he isn't that big. And he goes through a rawhide bone in a matter of hours... When will he stop teething?

29again

Asked by 29again at 11:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2013 in Pets

• Get a KONG. The red is the original and the black is the heavy duty. They are made to put treats in that take the dogs time to get out but our dogs don't even care if there are treats or not, they bounce easily and the dogs play with them on their own.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Raw hide is bad to often so is things like pig ears there supposed to be treats. They can compact a dogs stomach and possibly need surgery to remove. Kongs are awsome I have a American Pit Bull Terrier so she has a stong bite so ropes rawhides soft toys nothing last agenst her. Kongs on the other hand you can stuff if you like with dog treats and are literally indestructible. Shes got a super strong chew so I get her the black Kongs. I also buy her Nylabones. Since a puppy shes 2 now shes only gone threw 2 toys and thats because they became to small. Heres links to both so you can look at them. Also Kong makes balls ropes balls everything supper durrable. They cost a bit but they last forever. :D

http://www.petco.com/product/2530/Nylabone-Dura-Chew-Chicken-Bones.aspx

http://www.petco.com/N_13396_30_22/KONG-Dog.aspx
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 11:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• My DH goes to the meat Dept. at the grocery store and buys a package of 6 bones for 4.00. He puts them in the freezer so when our son brings his 6 month old puppy over, she gets one of those. Lasts about 2 hours and gives us a break, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I'll have to get a Kong for my sons puppy!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I will definitely look for Nylabones and KONG's. I never heard of either one! But I have to find something, I refuse to give him 2 of those rawhide things a day.....
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Mine's the same way 29! He's a senior, but he still can go through a rawhide chew in one night. I just buy a large bag when I see one and that way he always has one!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Please, if you insist on giving rawhides, which can break off and lodge in a puppy's stomach or intestines, at least only give ones that are made in the USA. Other countries, including Mexico, use arsenic and formaldehyde in the tanning process. While a rawhide or two won't harm a pet if chemically treated in that way, long term use can build up poisons in a dog's system. I agree, Nylas and Kongs are much better.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2013

• Whoa Ballad! I didn't know that about rawhides!

So, I just checked the one "bone" that is left..... made in China. sonovacricket. (or sunnybeaches, whichever you prefer). I will definitely limit the rawhides from now on! MAYBE one a month....
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• KONGS are great, but you have to be careful with that. It will keep the pup occupied, but unless you are putting things like nothing but their meals or fruits/veggies in there, you could end up with a pudgy puppy. (We fill ours usually with cheese and peanut butter...LOL) I have two Huskies that are major chew-aholics and they go through everything pretty quickly. The only things that actually last a little while with them are the real bones that you can buy with cooked meat on them. You can get them at any pet department or pet store. They get kind of expensive, but definitely cheaper (and healthier) than rawhides or KONGS with fatty treats inside.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• rawhide bones
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2013