Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mold in house

does anyone know of an easy way to get rid of mold? our house is very old and if it hadn't been for our neighbor I wouldn't have noticed some spots where there is mold, (hot water heater exploded on a previous owner) If I would have know about it before we bought the house we wouldn't have bought the house. The owner at the time did something to get rid of the mold, apparently it was everywhere, so not sure where this is comming from but i have found some small spots on walls in two rooms and hopping to get rid of it.

Answer Question
 
smltwnmom

Asked by smltwnmom at 1:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • The mold grows in as little as 48 hours and since you house is old (like mine) any area that has alot of moisture and no ventilation will cause mold. If the mold is bad you might need to call someone to come in and remove it. I but this stuff from this web site and its not hard to use.
    http://www.startremodeling.com/solutions/store/moldzyme.html
    gemgem

    Answer by gemgem at 1:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • You should also get a dehumidifier to help prevent mold from forming! Mold sucks, I hope you can get it all out safely. Good Luck.
    BridgetC140

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Well first & foremost don't panic :o}.There are only a few molds that can cause infection in healthy people. Some molds cause infections only in people with compromised immune systems. The biggest health problem from exposure to mold is allergy and asthma insusceptible people. Find the source of the moisture, then make sure to seal it up or patch it. Damp places can be rid of excess moisture from the use of a dehumidifier, When you begin to clean you should open the windows in the room to get rid of any airborne mold spores.One trick to keep mold from flying around is to spray the mold with a light mist of water so that it does not break apart from itself so easily. You should wipe away the mold with a disinfectant cleanser or some measure of distilled bleach. There's also mold resistant paints that work great .Take care & goodluck
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden
Do you own a deep fryer?

Next question overall (Health)
mold in house

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN