MY 4 YEAR OLD SON

OK SO WHEN SOMEONE SAIDS HI OR EVEN TRY TO TALK TO MY SON HE JUST SMILE WITH HIS TONGUE OUT ACTING LIKE A PUPPY DOG. SO MY QUESTION IS IS THAT NORMAL WILL HE GROW OUT OF THAT ? OR DO ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A CHILD THAT ACTS LIKE A DOG ? NOW THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ASKING A QUESTION SO I HOPE I DONE IT WRITE. WELL THANKS

brandybl2

Asked by brandybl2 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 4 year olds do strange things. Correct him each time he does this and eventually he'll quit.

FYI, When you type in all caps, it signifies yelling.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I think, generally speaking, that behavior like that a sign of anxiety, nervousness, feeling uncertain or on the spot.

It makes sense to talk to your doctor, who could put together some questions (& make observations) that would target any sign of potential issues.

But I have a four-year-old who sometimes behaves similarly when he's excited or cares a lot about something. For instance, he has started taking violin lessons and he's REALLY into the idea of playing, excited to show up for his lesson, but sometimes gets "funny" when we open the door to walk into the lesson room. He has a private lesson & a weekly group lesson that includes 5 other small children, and sometimes he sticks out his tongue (not "at" anyone), or crouches, or blows raspberries. I think he feels self-conscious, and also eager/excited. I'm not thrilled about it but I try to go forward, support him, connect more BEFOREHAND so he's more flexible & relaxed.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• There is an extremely wide range of "normal" at that age. Maybe your kid just has.....personality lol. Is there anything else that concerns you?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Your writing is not too bad but you might want to just use regular letters as the capital and bold are considered shouting.

Is this you child's way of being shy or does he them break out and is very friendky.
    With just what I have seen it seems nomal if nit to the extreem. The first would be a defense mecanism (everybody likes puppies)
    It gets him ove the time he doesn't fell comfortabel. This should not last overly long and you should encourage him to handle it in better ways that you wil teach him.You do not want him stuck in that phase.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Thanks all of yall yall been lots of help. Thanks again
    brandybl2

Comment by brandybl2 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• There you go^^^

Much better. :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I must have a strange child. My five-year-old does the puppy thing from time to time, or also acts like a cow, a kitty, a baby, or whatever pops into her silly head. Not usually when she's talking to strangers, but just whenever. Your son might just be expressing his imagination. If he seems shy or anxious, you could teach him to shake hands and say, "It's nice to meet you." But I don't know that I'd worry too much unless it goes on for a long time or interferes with his social activities.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Giving him info at other times (AWAY from the situation) about what he can do "when someone says Hi" could be helpful. You're like a tour guide letting him (a tourist) in on the customs of the culture.

If the behavior tends to happen because he feels a little anxious, uncertain or self-conscious, this would be a gentle & positive way of reinforcing an alternative behavior (saying Hi, etc.) that doesn't focus on correcting him "in the moment" (a more negative focus.)

You could also let him know that he could do something else (reach out to hold your hand, for example), because just implying that he "should" say Hi in response might seem too overwhelming to him, and impossible to implement. Normalize having "a funny feeling when something happens," and that he can reach for you. (This would cue you as to his feelings, and you could take the lead in the interaction & gently "speak for him" to help things along in the moment.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• It's normal.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• ,y youngest used to smile and hide behind me whenever someone loooks at her. my middle is out going, she used to act like a cat she's 8 now and still acts like that when our friends come over or with someone who she really likes. she hasn't sone it for awhile out in public, now it's just a home thing.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2013