To breast feeding moms,

about how long after baby was born did it take for baby to have a feeding routine that was predictable so that you could go out and resume your regular chores and errands?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son took a month till he was in his routine. goodluck!
    rgie_wermager

Answer by rgie_wermager at 1:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• roughly about 6 weeks tops. I bf 5 and the length of time that they established a routine varied but by 6 weeks I kinda knew how long I had before the next feeding to run out and do something.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My dd and I don't have a set routine, baby led bf lol, but right after you feed them, you have at least an hour to two to go run errands. (Unless they hit a growth spurt lol)
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 1:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Wow... it took a good three month for me. My little one just nursed all of the time, pretty irregularly. The first few months in general are very hard to come down with a routine for. The routine will happen, be assured! babyfat5 is right- you have to fit in your errands between feedings. And really, you can nurse when you're not at home too, just bring along a blanket to cover up with or something! Good luck! The first months are hard!
    theitalian3721

Answer by theitalian3721 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i wrote it all down trying desperately to establish a routine. lol After 4 weeks I was comfortable enough to take baby out and just cover up. This is a good time to pump and freeze-you have lots of milk-eventually for me pumping became a pain in the butt and not worth it. I also had a cheap pump though.

My son ate every 2 hours during the day for at least 6 months.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I got out and going the minute I felt better, at about 10 days. I would leave after a feeding and wing it. If baby needed to be fed I either sat were I was or went to the car (AZ in the spring can be hot). In those first few months I just never put time restraints on myself. Every trip could take 5 minutes or hours depending on how everything went. There were a few times where I couldn't even make it 5 minutes down the road and I would pull over (in a safe area) and feed baby then continue on. I carried my Boppy everywhere. They use to make boppy diaper bags that held them so it was easy. Enjoy yourself and baby and do what you want when you want, just be flexible and everything will be perfect.  Congratulations on breastfeeding!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 2:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Many moms can do this after six weeks. I chose not to go on errands without him.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I resumed my regular chores and outings within a week or two. I did not have my baby on a schedule though. I just put him in a sling and he came along too. I plan to do the same when the bay I'm currently carrying.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Not sure. Never really had a set schedule. My babies pretty much went wherever I went.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009