Are you independent?

Able to think and make decisions on your own?
Or do you feel like, no matter how mundane it is, you need to run it by your DH/SO?

I understand large purchases ie. Cars, house etc. But looking more twds things like tanning sessions, mani/pedis, new hair style etc.

You just do it or get permission?

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Money & Work

• I am single now because I got tired of everything being a committee meeting and him saying no. So now I am on my own about to move into a shelter start all over again and open my own business. Its awesome.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• One of the reasons I am glad I don't have a DH, I don't have to worry about what anyone else thinks. I can do what I want, when I want.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I do all of our finances for both business and personal accounts. I spend what I want and he does the same.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• If it involves any kind of money I talk to DH about it. Not to get permission, but instead to not cause any surprises when he looks in the bank account, or to make sure we have that extra $20 he had not planned for ito go elsewhere-everything is paid that needs to be- ect... Neither of us needs 'permission' to spend money but we do, out of respect, at least inform one another it will or has been spent.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• We talk about purchases over $50,but I'm perfectly able to make purchases on my own,as is he.
    We are both free thinking individuals

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I don't need permission but I do run things by him (unless its less than $20 or so) just like he does with me.

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Well, I usually tell/ask when I need my hair cut, but that's more of a 'hey a need a few hours to myself, you gotta watch the kids' kinda thing not money related. We usually give each other a heads up before spending money. Like DH just bought a pair of new boots for himself, I'd probably would have freaked if he didn't tell me beforehand. They cost about $150.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• In the beginning of my marriage I felt like asking for the so call permission after 41 years I do not feel the need, his money is as much mine as it is his.....so no I don't ask, I just do! I know how much is there and how much I am able to spend without running it by him every time, unless it is a big expense.....and sometimes I don't do it for big expenses, only if the big expense affects the both of us...

Answer by older at 10:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I'm usually the decision maker actually lol. I like his input and sometimes he does bring up things I wasn't thinking about but we both know I'm more organized, responsible, and think things through first lol. He's too spontaneous (which ironically is part of what I love about him, its just a good thing he knows to leave the big stuff to me! Lol).
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Things that affect both of us I like to run past him, but sometimes I don't. He has good ideas a lot of the time, so if I have time I'll ask for his opinion, and then evaluate it and do what I think is best. He is my best friend, after all. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2013