Is this reasonable or not? i think it is but they don't

ok to start with, i'm driving a diesel truck. right now the price of diesel here is 4.20 a gallon. that said here's the problem:
i take the neighbor's 14yo to and from school. the school is five miles from the house. but it's going the oppisite way of the girls's school. and they don't give us gas money unless they have to. (sorry we are out of gas, you have to walk to school just like we do.)
christmas they got vouchers for bikes from a church. the bike shop is 15 miles from the house. i told them i would get them only if she would ride her bike to and from school everyday instead of me taking her. mom said she would have to get locks for the bikes. no big deal right? guess what they still don't have locks and i still haven't went and got the bikes! they think i'm being unreasonable by not going and getting them.

i made it clear that they were to ride the bikes to and from school. mom made it clear that the only way it will happen is if they have locks. the way she's acting she's expecting ME to buy the locks. not happening! the kids want the bikes, but i'm not wasting my gas (hubby works 45 min away and a round trip to work is an 1/8th of a tank.) just for the bikes to sit in her place and gather dust!

everyone has told me to cut all ties with these people because all they do is leach off of people. the mom owes money to my friend and refuses to pay her back. (i'm not part of it and they are treating me the same as before. they know i had nothing to do with it.)

please tell me who is being unreasonable? and any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated.
(the 14yo is the only reason we haven't cut ties. mom doesn't care if she goes to school or not. but child does.)

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Throughout this whole story, all I could think of, was this poor 14 year old girl!!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I would go get the bikes and say you have done your part and you are done being their chauffeur now. I feel bad for the kid.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Its hard when there are children involved helping her when her parents do not care can show the child you care about her. If this is a burden cut ties. think of it this way you are helping a child who has no one. You care and provide a strong presence for a child who needs it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• As much as I do feel bad about the 14 year old, I don't get involved with neighbors to that extent and that is precisely why. Ask yourself why you are doing all those things. If it's for the kids, then who cares. If it's because you feel you HAVE to do it, then that is YOUR underlying issue.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Honestly? I would get the bikes and locks for them drop them off and let the family know that I will no longer be taking them to school.
    In the end, it will save you more than it will cost to buy a lock for a few bucks and make one trip to get the bikes
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I feel bad for the child, but you have to put your own family first, and if you can't afford the gas, you can't afford it. It sucks, but it's life.

I would go get the bikes and drop them off. Tell them you're done driving her to school, and the mom needs to go get the locks. If she doesn't, then it's her problem. If Mom truly doesn't care if her kid gets to school, she'll care when her daughter doesn't go and the cops show up to find out why. And again, that's not your problem.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Do what you can for the child, poor girl. It sounds as though you are her only hope.

Answer by Bmat at 11:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• How did this start that you are driving their child to a different school than the one your kids go to? I can see you doing them a favor by letting their kid ride to school if their kid went to school with yours, but it's obvious they are using you. I would take the kid, the voucher and take them to the store to buy a bike and get them a lock as a gift from you and call it a day. Let the parents know that you won't be able to take "xyz" to school anymore since it is out of your way, that THEY will need to take responsibility for Getting THEIR child to school from now on. Sit in front of the mirror and repeat 'that doesn't work for me' as long as you have to and the next time they suggest you do something for them just say "I'm sorry, that doesn't work for me" and walk away.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Why do you have to pick up the bikes or drive the kid??

Just say NO or ask for the gas money up front... you are not a taxi/delivery service... and if you were those services cost money!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I agree with everyone here, get the bikes and let them get the locks

Answer by older at 10:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2013