This dang puppy!

so my hubby and the kids got a dog

truth is i am not a dog person i am a cat person!! I love my cat and don't care much for the dog..

but anyhows guess who got stuck taking care of the dog while hubby goes to work and the children go off to school!

thats right MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

so i have a few questions!

how do i get my puppy to get use to being outside without whinning and crying..??

can i make my puppy get along with my cat?

my puppy is super needy help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Pets

• Puppies are like babies and are needy! You can't expect a pup to be outside on it's own without you. You should be taking him out once an hour to potty train him. He should be with you not just let out.

I think finding a good book about puppy training will help you a lot!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Puppies are needy like babies are needy, you cat and your dog will eventually get use to each other, it needs time to happen but it will. As far as the whining, you got to do it slowly remember they are needy as a baby and they miss their mom, so take him outside for his necessities and let him stay inside until he is a bit older...toliet training has to happen now, or maybe even a crate weill do the trick , of course only putting him there to train him not all day. Be patient.....and loving

Answer by older at 11:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• well i understand that but when the kids are outside he stands by the door and cries and cries and cries.. and whines!!!!!!!!!!!!! so then he comes in and pooops or pee's on my floor!!!!!!!! (insert angry face)

puppy training i will fine a book! thanks
    mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• we started to crate train and he would whine and whine so i gave in......... and let him out.. he is potty trained.. he stands by the sliding door when he has to go pee or poop except when he goes outside and refuses to pee or poop and comes inside and does it instead!! -_-. and at night he goes on the training pads.. whoo hoo..
    mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Since you are the care giver, he wants to be with you, you are his replacement mommy! you just have to keep an eye out so he doesn't pee and poo and catch him in the act and reprimand him then take him outside over and over and over until he gets the hang of it. I admit this is the worst stage of any dog training sucks big time, but the reward will be a loyal friend for life, you might even change your opinions on dogs......

Answer by older at 11:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• He wants you to go outside to pee and poop with you......

Answer by older at 11:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Dogs are pack animals. You want to get the puppy used to ging outside, go outside with it. YOU need to go outside with it because YOU are the pack leader at this point. Even when he needs to "go". Go outside with him, watch him do it nd then tell him good boy. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
    The puppy and cat will find their own balance but it will tae time. You need to make oth feel comfortable around the other. This could includ holdig and petting your cat while the puppy is in eye shot in the room or even laying at your feet. Don't force it though and if the cat wants to leave let it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• i love dogs, i just dont like puppies.. i like big dogs.. they got a chihuahua!
    mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Crate training is probably the easiest way to house train a dog. Keep it's age in mind when figuring out when to take it out to relieve itself. Isn't a chihuahua pretty much like a cat?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I agree: find a book on puppy training. One important tip is to not spend more time and attention on the dog now than you think you can keep up over the long haul. You're getting the puppy used to the way his life will be right now, and that's the way he will expect it to be later. So if you and the kids fawn over him 24/7 right now, he'll always need that kind of attention. Teach him to be alone, even if it's only for two or three minutes at a time, and even if he cries.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2013