How does one reconcile being a conservative Christian?

Christian values:
charity
poverty
community
acceptance/tolerance
rejection of class systems (per Revelations - everyone is judged equally, whether they're servant, merchant or priest)

conservative values:
keep your money, as much of it as you possibly can
do for yourself
bigotry/rejection
re-enforcement of class systems - if you're not doing better than your parents you're not trying hard enough

There are many more, that's just an overview. In most cases, Christian clergy have to reach back to the OT to justify conservative values, because they aren't located in the NT. When they do find them in the NT, they have to twist them quite a bit to make them fit. Otherwise they resort to non-biblical dogma (the subservience of women, prosperity gospel, celibate clergy, etc).

So how can someone be both - charitable, non-judgmental, and rejecting of luxury, while simultaneously insisting that social programs need to be cut, charity should be handled by churches (and if you don't agree with the church, sucks to be you), and that a McMansion is a "necessity" that must be earned by everyone, while not having one is an indication someone just isn't trying hard enough?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Charitable, to you own kind
    non- judgmental, of those who agree with you
    luxury, well God made it possible for these riches right?
    Anonymous

• Really, you no nothing of the average conservative person. 

Anonymous

• That's why I always laugh when conservative Christians ask how we "liberal" Christians can be Christian, lol ;)
    The funny thing is that so many conservatives gripe about "socialism" and so many other things, hardly realizing that the first communities of Christian actually WERE socialist - living with property being held in common, etc - and that the OT lays out social plans that the most "devout" Christians today would fight adamantly to keep out of effect here in the US. Things like Jubilee, etc, etc....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

Oh, why am I feeding the troll? Seriously, sweetie, when you are talking to a registered Republican who follows a faith that is legitimately fiscally conservative rather than Cheney/Bush conservative, you should work harder not to embarrass yourself. Then again, I guess that's why you chose anon.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Some conservative Christians have gotten far too wrapped up in politics and tried to tweak their faith to fit their political values.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I have to admit, since I am a progressive Democrat, I "no" nothing about the average conservative.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Sorry you got it all wrong:

Conservatives believe in giving their own money, not everyone else's. It has to do with that free will thing that God instituted.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Conservatives believe in giving their own money, not everyone else's.

LOL you're funny.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I believe that "Conservative Christian" is an oxymoron.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I disagree with some of your broad, sweeping generalizations of both how a Christian and a conservative are supposed to be. As a Christian, I don't know anywhere in the Bible that it says that we should "value" poverty. It does say that it's harder for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle than to get into the kingdom of Heaven. But in the parable of the talents, the one who took his money and made more money was rewarded. The problem with money only comes in where you make it an "idol". I also don't believe that being conservative means I should hoard my money. It only means that I believe I should choose where/how to spend it rather than let the government do that for me. And as far as the "do for yourself" mentality of conservative, that doesn't mean that you can't accept help from others - only that you shouldn't expect it, and I don't think that goes against Christian values either.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2013