How to get my 4 year to poop on the potty!

My 4 year old knows how to poop in the potty and has done it many times but it is always a fight, she throws a tantrum every time I take her to poop. It is so frustrating to me, I don't understand and I'm worried about it, I think it is so ridiculous that she throws a tantrum over poop! I have tried rewarding her, spanking her, sitting and rubbing her legs while she goes, and I have even tried leaving her in the bathroom until she poops. nothing has worked! what should I do to get her too DooDoo! : )

Afry61

Asked by Afry61 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Spanking? No. Just wait. It's really normal for this to happen. Try to catch her in the act and put her on the potty. Once she's there, she'll see it's no big deal. But it could take some time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Well, first off stop spanking her for not pooping. You can't just force something out like that and you are going to cause anxiety that can kick off other problems.

Positive reinforcement usually helps. Maybe make sure that she is either getting enough fiber or something else to make sure that her stool is soft enough to pass without pushing too hard.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• why are you spanking her?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• 1) get her checked out by a ped to make sure it is not medical
    2) Leave it be. Jsut leave it alone. If she goes more than a few days with out pooping then call the Ped. Leave it at that. Stop making such a big deal over it. You are turning it into a battle of wills and you will loose.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Could she be constipated or uncomfortable? Or could she be fighting a battle of wills with you? Try not saying any more about poop at all, but not letting her do whatever "big girl" thing she likes because big girls know how to go potty.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Maybe just let her go when she needs to go and let nature take its course? Sounds like you are trying to make her go when she doesn't really need to.
    If YOU are stressing over this, you are forcing YOUR stress on to her, and she is associating pooping as an uncomfortable, stressful upsetting thing.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2013