what age is a good age to get a kid a pet to take care of?

well of corce i would help take care of it but whats a good age to get a kid a pet?
also what kind of pet is good to have in the house if you have littel kids. i was thinking about getting a dog but i was afread my littel kids would hurt a dog.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• my 3yo has fish everymorning she feeds them and makes sure the tank has enough water if it doesnt she tells me and i do it
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 1:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my youngest is four and shows no interest in our pet but my six year old will put him out and bring him in from going potty ( we have a shih tzu) and while he's out she will fill his food and water bowls. I would say you can get the pet when you rchild is younger, but obviously you will have to model how to take care of the pet for them. I also would never ask my daughter to clean up the poo if the dog has an accident.

so either way it's a great way to teach responsibility, but plan for taking care of it yourself as well... oh yeah and some days the kids just aren't in the mood, you'll have to decide how to handle that. Our dog is a family dog so if my daughter does not want to take care of it one day I will just do it myself- we take turns so to speak.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My two littler kids were 3 and 7 and I got them gerbils. They dont stink as long as you clean the cage, they arent high maintenance at all, and the kids got a kick out of them. We still have them although my kids have moved up to cats LOL

Answer by gemgem at 1:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• To take care of?? Teenagers and even then I wouldn't expect them to take care of an animal. For you to have and for them to enjoy? I would say three or four. We got a dog last summer and my two year old doesn't give a flying crap about it, but my four year old adores it.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you get any pet don't count on the kids caring for it, they might say they will but unless you are willing to there is no age, until they are of age and out on their own. I tested this theory on hot summer day when we all went rafting on thew Missouri river and a man came up to us with a puppy that apparently had been left to his own demise, well the boys begged me and tormented me they said they would potty train it and everything, so we took him home gave him a name and I said if no one claims him we can keep him if they fufill their promises...that lasted till the next day when I went home for myu lunch hour and found puppy poop and pee everywhere in the house and boys playing xbox and hanging with there friends, they want to enjoy them on camp trips and float trips but they don't want to participate in caring for them
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you adopt a dog for your child the age is about 7 yrs old. I would make sure he wants one and ask the shelter or Humane Soc. to match you with the right pet. Also a dog is a lot of work, needs walking ,bathing,feeding etc. Cats are a little easier. Minimal care but playful and fun. fish you can just look at, and other critters you need to choose wisley.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i'd definitely start with fish. They're easy to take care of, and pretty much all the child will be responsible for is a pinch of food every morning. I'd suggest 2 or 3 goldfish and a plecostlemus (suckerfish) or 7-10 male guppies and a plecostlemus. The sucker fish help keep the tank clean, and guppies are much cleaner fish than goldfish. Maybe after a year or so move up to a cat or dog, depending on which you will have more patience for. I don't suggest rodents because they attract wild rodents... IMO they're just yucky. Cats are independent and poop in a box that needs cleaned once a day, but pretty well come potty trained. If you're at work, training a puppy to housebreak can be a chore, plus you have to sit down and decide whether or not you're going to adopt from a shelter, or pick a purebred to fit your lifestyle. Dogs require much more than cats do, any day. So if you're open to it, fish, cat, dog, etc.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It really depends on the kid. We got our daughter guinea pigs for her 10th birthday. She's been asking for them for at least 2 years and I figured she was finally ready. All I do is pay for everything. She takes care of them 100% and has done a great job.

I don't see her brother being as responsible as she is when he is 10. I doubt he'll be getting his own pet by then.

If you guys want a pet just be prepared to end up caring for it yourself. Unless you positive your kids are ready for the responsibility.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 11:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2009