This creeps me out

so my mom got a letter in the mail today, i didnt open it because it didnt have my name on it obviously. she used to live in this house and its still in her & my dad's name though they moved a few years ago. anyway she came over and told me to open it. it was a hand written letter from a "realtor" who claims theres a cash buyer that wants to buy this (MY) house. im sure its a scam, our house isnt even for sale. but WTF? my mom doesnt know this guy. im guessing its relatively easy to find out the person's name on the deed? because it was addressed to her.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, that's suspicious. And, yes it's very easy to find out who owns a property.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• You can google any address & find out who owns the home. The Realtor is just looking for listings he can get. If she isn't interested in selling just throw it away. I get them occasionally.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• It could be a scam or it could be someone who is interested in the property. Growing up, we lived in a house and right across the road there was a pond. We didn't own that land but many people thought we did and there were several times that people would stop by our house interested in buying that piece of property. My dad would always refer them to the court house to find out the information on who owns that land.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Its a scam we had someone call us and tell us they had cash buyer and it was a scam I asked the guy if he was retarded and he laughed but I found out it was a scam.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Here, you can pull up any owner's name and look at a scanned copy of their closing papers with exactly how much they paid.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I'd report it to the police non-emergency number, just in case it's been coming up lately or something. You never know.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• You can find out the owner of a property at your county tax appraiser's office. It's pretty much all online and easy to find.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I'm a Realtor. Yes, deeds are public records so anyone can figure out who owns what. It could be that the agent is looking for listings or she very well may have a client who's interested in your/your parents' home. With the Do Not Call List in effect, direct mail is the only way we have of reaching home owners in this case. The worst thing that could happen if you called is that you'd get on the Realtor's mailing list.

For the record, always get at least 2 Comparative Market Analyses or Opinions of Value before listing your home.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 6:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2013