I got a stupid ticket.. what would you ladies do?

I was in a car accident a week ago late at night coming home. My car spun out on some ice and i went into the ditch.

Fast forward a few days, i got a ticket in the mail for inattentive driving. It's not required i go to court, i can opt to pay it. My worry is this.

Will my license get suspended if i pay it instead of fighting it?

Since 2009 i have 4 traffic tickets on my driving record.

What do you think is the worst that can happen by just paying it?

Also I just changed the address on my Drivers license, forgot to do it when i moved to this house is august. Will i get in trouble for not changing it right away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Ya know, most attorneys have a free initial consultation... I'd definitely start there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Personally I would fight that one!! It was an ACCIDENT... you can't help it if you hit an ice patch sometimes!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• You are not going to get in trouble for not changing your address on your license. LOL!    Call the DMV.

Answer by louise2 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I'd go to court! That's a BS ticket unless there's more to your story than you're telling us.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I am going to disagree with Crafty as far as it being just an accident. All accidents happen because a law was broken. In this incident, you were going to fast for conditions. You can choose to find it if you want, but I doubt you will win. As far as the 4 tickets since 2009, you can call your DMV and find out how many points you currently have. In my state, after 16 points in a 3 year time span, you will get your license suspended. As far as your address on your license, again it will depend on your state. In my state, you have 30 days to change it. If you don't and are pulled over, you can receive a ticket for that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• why'd they mail it? why not just give it to you at the time of the incident?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• if i was gonna get ticketed why didn't i get it on the spot lol. its stupid, how does hitting a patch of ice and losing control of my car constitute being inattentive? it was 1:30 am i was the only car on the road. i was coming home after meeting a friend at the casino. My ids were with their dad for the weekend which is why i was out that late in the first place. I worry too much. gaaah lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I would fight it and here is why. I got a ticket form one of those red light cameras for running a red light (that I actually did not run- long story) anyhow, we were going to be moving soon, and when the ticket came, I paid it thinking whatever- I'll pay the 80 bucks and just be done with it (no other tickets for years) well, a few years go by and I start getting stuff saying my license was suspended in AZ and that I had to go to traffic school for this ticket THAT I PAID...I ignore it for awhile, and finally when we had moved again and I went to get a new license, and was told I couldn't until this was taken care of. UGH so- like 7 years later there I was going to traffic school for a ticket that said either pay the fine or go do that instead. We were told to never pay one that comes in the mail like that because it is admitting guilt...
    anyhow- I would fight it if I were you
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• ok, looked it up and MN doesn't do a points system. it can be suspended if i have 5 offenses on 24 months. which i don't, the 5 tickets are over 5 years. whew, thanks for the quick replies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I wanna fight it, the ticket is $120. I'm a single mom on a budget lol. The roads were dry when i was driving, how was i to know i was gonna hit black ice? ugh, its just ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2013