Old employer obligated to tell ???

Child support finally cought up with my ex husband, hasn't paid sense 2009 - kids have received four payments - $127., $127., $99. and $40. - So, I'm thinking, he's quit this job and these are his last pay checks.
My question is if he uses this job as a reference for the next - is an employer obligated to tell that he has an obligation to child support?

Should that be a part of a background check?
I don't understand how someone can not use their social security number for years. Not file income tax fir years.

Just a curious question.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, that won't even be asked of them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Why not? I don't understand. We are not on governman assistance, but those who are - they complain about the tax dollars spent but yet, these men run free from their obligations.
    My kids have enjoyed the extra clothes and stuff spent with these few payments. I wasn't expecting it to last long. We'll see next week if anymore money comes in.
    Yes, I would setup a saving, etc for the kids if it was a regular payments.
    But I'm sure a family on food stamps and whatnot could use the child support money and maybe save the tax payers a few bucks by holding the other patent accountable.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• No, they not obligated . It falls under slander and the company could be sued. The Ex- may lose but too many companies have been sued for "bad mouthing" employees so they couch their reference letters very carefully.
    A background check may reveal the info if they search those databases. But what they are normally looking at is criminal/ credit reports.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Doesn't child support show up on a credit check? Where else could you owe in my case $45,0000. And it not show up?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Oups, $45,000. But wouldn't that clue in the employer that there might be done sort of obligation that needs to be paid AFTER employment. I guess, I'm wondering why is it so easy for them to get away with this or so hard for employers to check?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• unless you sue him it will not be reflected on a credit report. you have to be in collections before an owed debt is reflected on a credit report.

if he uses his SSN and your states CS agency can find them they will find out soon enough that his wages need to be garnished.
    honestly you dont want this to show up pre employment. you want him to get a J.O.B. because how the hell else are you going to get the money?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Very true, I'm just frustrated at how someone can seemly disappear.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• No. It should not be asked and if it is an employer is required by law not to reveal any such information. They are allowed to verify that he worked there from this date to that date. And if ask they may say he is or is not eligible for rehire and nothing else.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Employers are not obligated to share that, and in fact, they can't. If there's an income deduction order in place, word will get to his new employer. You can, if you know who his new employer is, send a certified copy of the income deduction order to them and that'll get the process started quicker. Otherwise, you have to wait for the courts, child support enforcement, etc. to catch up to him.

If you don't have an income deduction order, get one. Go back to court and ask for the child support order to be modified to give you an income deduction order. That will automatically garnish his wages as long as he's working.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• No. The are only a few questions a new employer can ask of past work references.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2013