Reporting a minor rape victim's name. Do you think that is responsible reporting?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/fox-news-steubenville-rape-victim_n_2901635.html?ir=Media

It's hard enough to get the nerve to follow through with reporting a rape but fear of retaliation for doing what is right is a major reason they don't report it. The victim in the Steubenville rape case now has had her identity revealed. At first it was just Fox News but now others have followed suit and the girl has already had death threats against her. Is this responsible news or a desire to up their ratings at the expense of others, even minors? I'm appalled at this. What if it were you or your daughter or loved one? Thoughts?

Asked by admckenzie at 7:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• No, it isn't responsible. I think the only time that would be acceptable is if they do an interview themselves and give permission as well as their parent or guardian giving their permission. How sad for her to be further victimized. What is wrong with our society when we look past lawlessness in favor of sports?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Are they trying to hide behind the fact that it was all over the social media, therefore public record?! The same social media that served to further humiliate that poor girl?! That same social media that allowed others to make threats against this victim?! The mainstream media that is supposed to follow some level of decorum should have their pens shoved under their nails for printing that poor girl's name. I hope the parents sue & win for causing undue emotional turmoil to her. It's sickening. :(

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Honestly? I don't think they should report a rape victim's name regardless of her age. It's a horrible thing to go through, and I can't imagine any woman would be okay with complete strangers knowing her name and that she was raped, being able to look up her Facebook, or Twitter, or whatever - and then you add in fear of retaliation, like you mention. At the very least, minor victims should NOT be named, and adult victims should have the option to keep their name out of the press.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• This is absolutely HORRIBLE and very irresponsible! I live in the area and, although many people around here obviously do know her real name, she is still known as Jane Doe in our local news stations and papers.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• That's just so wrong!! If I were her parents, I'd be filing lawsuit against whomever revealed her identity!
    That poor girl has so many demons to battle with the rape and now this!
    The media goes too far when reporting stories IMO
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• It is absolutelyirresponsible. I was also under the assumption that it would be illegal. Apparently not?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• CNN reporter royally fucked up when it appeared to sympathize with the rapists, and now "accidently" lets out the name of the victim? Well FOX and MSN. Guess it shouldn't surprise folks the way our media is censoring little bits of stories to make it sell more papers and get more air time. Even if it wrong. NBC is getting sued from George Zimmermen's lawyer for editing a tape of a 911 call.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2013