Hi, i have a beautiful baby boy whose 4.3 now.....he's full of energy and is one naughty kid!! i have started to feel that i have been too busy keeping him "in line" for everything making his routine perfect but i feel he's not attached with me,he shows that he loves me and i do that too but something inside is broken,because the other night when he got scared and i was with him he wanted to call his grand father and i realized that he was looking at me for comfort

Raifi

Asked by Raifi at 8:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• butterflyblue19

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• he probably isn't that "naughty", you just wanted him to be perfect. How's that working out... not so good huh!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• he shows that he loves me
    he was looking at me for comfort

what else do you want from the kid? he's 4.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• you dont really make sense
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• OMG!
    I think I finally got it. You dont think there is something broken in the kid, but in you?
    He looked to you for comfort and you didnt give him what he needed so he wanted his grandfather?

Respond soon or else you are gonna get tore up.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• How is he naughty? Do you not comfort your child when he is scared? I don't understand what your question is.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Find things he likes, and connect with him over that.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. Stop attempting to be perfect; just be his mom and love him unconditionally.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Are you saying you realized he wasn't looking to you for comfort (he wanted to call his grandfather when he was scared, even though his mom was with him)?

I do think if you are too focused on correction, you can lose connection. But you can address what you are seeing & feeling. All is not lost!!

I do think it's important to parent in ways that preserve & support the attachment relationship, which reinforces the child's orientation toward you. This also makes parenting easier (of course, it still is a tremendous commitment of emotional energy!) because it tends to engage a child's natural cooperation more than an adversarial dynamic does. The real "power of parenting" lies in the strength of your relationship, and children (and all human beings) are most responsive to those with whom they share a strong attachment & positive relationship.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Did you finally realize that 4 year olds are not and can not be perfect and that the thing broken inside is YOU!!!! Maybe your son wants grandpa because grandpa has a realistic sense of parenting that allows your son to be a KID and not a mini adult that has to "be in line". You forced your child to get comfort and love from grandpa because of your unrealistic parenting. Your son won't learn how to act if you don't let him be a kid and make mistakes.
    Anonymous