Is it colic or something else?

My 12 week old daughter has been screaming for 5 days. I tok her to the ER on Saturday but they said there was nothing wrong with her. She just got done with Bronchilitis and they say it is the after affects of that. The only way she is quite is if she is nursing or if I sit with her in a rocking chair and rock her. There are a few times during the day when she is content but it only lasts for a couple minutes and she is back to crying. Is this colic or could it e something else. Please help I do not know how much more I can take!!!!

hawmom

Asked by hawmom at 1:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think that colic would have affected her before now. Babies are usualyl starting to outgrow colic at your dd's age. I would bring her to your pedi and have her checked out. If they don't see anything then I would think that she just wants to be held and loved. It may be a phase or it may be the start of her wanting to be held all the time. I would get a sling to carry her in, she would probabyl enjoy that and you could get stuff done. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It could be a number of things. If she's just getting over bronchitis, it could be related to that. Did they give her any medication? Is she spitting up at all? Does she cry when she's lying down, sitting up? It may be that she doesn't feel well and just wants to be comforted by you. If she's screaming while lying down, try sitting her up. My dd had reflux really bad and sitting up for an hour after eating helped tremendously. I would talk to her pediatrician, if you can't seem to find any answers. Hang in there!!! I've been there!!!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Is she vaccinated? When were her last shots? Sometimes vaccines cause incessive crying b/c of swelling of the brain. It is called encephalitic cry.

Have you tried Mylicon or Homepathic Colic tablets by Hylands?

Have you changed your eating? Cut back on your dairy for a couple of days.

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Gas is my first thought. Then..maybe she is overly tired. Try some Mylicon drops or Gripe Water (something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate in it)...that stuff is liquid GOLD! If it is gas, the Gripe Water will definitely help. Then, try to get her to sleep as much as possible. Around this age, my daughter got to the point where she didn't just fall asleep wherever she was anymore. She needed to be rocked to sleep and needed a quiet space to stay asleep. An overly tired baby can really scream and yell about it.

Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• She had her two month vaccinations last month. Yes they gave her azithromyicen drops and I had bronchitis so I was taking that inpill form. No she does not spit up. She hasn't ben gassy. She poopoe 5-7 timesa day. I though that it ws her wanting to b held but even if I alk around with her she stil cries. I have tried the gas drops they do not help. It doesn't matter if she is sitting upor lying down. Only when she is nursing orwhen rock her in a chair, and she as to be sitting a certain way. It just doesn't make any sense.
    hawmom

Answer by hawmom at 12:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2009