Drug charge in 1986

My brother who's 49 years old, getting a divorce and cannot find a job. Living with my parents - oh ya... What a mess...
My question is he says a potential employer sent him a letter stating they could not hire him because if a drug change in 1986. My brothers story is he was in the car with someone who had some marihuana - he paid a $250 fine and that was it.
At least this is the story he told my parents.
So, is no statute of limitations ?

Although a great lesson for my teenage kids. I was just wondering.

He's (my brother) has been a truck driver, in the National Guard, has been over seas, etc. this drug charge never interfered -

So, do you think maybe he's not telling the truth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Money & Work

• call an atty. he may have had deffered(sp) judgement but it could still be on his record as a charge. an atty should be able to get it expunged.
    if he was convicted, then that is harder
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• what kind of job is it? I think, though, that if a company has a policy that they don't hire anyone with drug charges, or anyone who's ever been convicted of a felony, or something like that, then they can choose to go back as far as they want to determine that they're not hiring someone who has that charge or conviction.

Charges and convictions stay on your record permanently, as far as I know. Statute of limitations, I think, only applies to how long after you commit a crime that they can arrest, charge, and convict you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• he doesnt need an lawyer to expunge his record.. i expunged mine by myself.. you find the place fill out paper work pay them and its expunged.
    Anonymous

• Felonies are forever
    Some employers are willing to over look convictions

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• It can depend on the job. I had one job were I was in charge of controlling other people medications. I had to pass drug tests & no one with a drug related record could be hired.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• He told our Mom it was not fellony. This was some retail place - I think it was Wal-Mart. I'm just thinking, my brother can't get a job at Wal-Mart he's going to be with our parents forever.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I have a feeling that there is more to the story than your brother is saying or he lied about the letter from the employer. Employers usually only ask about felonies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Ya, that's what I was thinking. Ya this so called simple charge that only cost $250. and 25 years ago.
    Hmmm...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• If it's a retail job, then he's got to be lying somewhere to someone. Most of the retail managers I've talked to would only refuse to hire someone if they had something like theft or stealing money from an employer in their background. Retail is one of the easiest jobs to get - that's why teens tend to have retail jobs for their first jobs.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I'm starting a new job and honestly I don't know how anyone with record makes it. They do background, and credit checks. Human Resources new i had figure prints on file from a previous employer. I needed 6references, 3 personal and 3 professional.

Your brother needs to get his record expunged on his own or he should contact an attorney about his options.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2013