Should I cut off baby from breastfeeding for too long?

If baby is breastfeeding for too long at a time should you cut them off?? I have been feeding for over an hour , baby is only two weeks old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!
    Let baby feed. Baby could also be finding great comfort in the closeness of your body to their's. Remember the kid spent 9 months in the perfect environment. The big wide world is not as happy.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I was going to give a really snarky reply, but will refrain in case you are a new mother. No, do not cut your child off from nursing. Babies grow at such a fast rate they need that nutrition. Sometimes when they breastfed for a long time they are getting your body ready to spur your supply for baby's growth spurts. Your baby knows what it needs better than you do at this point. Maybe do some research on kellymom.com to get extra breast feeding info.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Yes let the baby come up for air and burping. If the baby indicates that he is hungry Try again. Be sure that you are feeding from each breast during each feeding. The more the baby nurses the more milk you will produce. That does not mean you are producing quite enough just yet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• i didnt.. my kids use to eat 30 mins on one boob and then 30 mins on the other
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

•       http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/feeding/breastfeed_often.html#

chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• most of breastfed babies do not need to be burped
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• No. This really only happens in the beginning. Just get the phone, the remote and a comfortable spot before you nurse. I remember being there for hours in the beginning. Soon it will get shorter. Just hang in there. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• At that age, your baby isn't quite efficient at getting milk out yet, and at the same time, he's trying to build up your supply. Because of that, it's better to let him nurse as long as he needs to. That being said, I had one baby who wanted to nurse literally all day. At some point, I was so tired and my nipples were so sore, I gave in and gave him a pacifier. That was only when it was clear to me that he was just satisfying a need to suck, not a need for milk or comfort. If I'd had to let him nurse for three hours at a time, I'm not sure how long I would have been able to keep nursing him. I was in pain and really needed a break sometimes, and I had a good milk supply. I was worried a bit about nipple confusion, but it never became an issue. I exclusively breastfed him without any supplementing or bottles. My youngest never had that intense need to suck that my oldest did, so I never offered him a pacifier.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• If YOU are in pain you can unlatch and see if baby is just sleepin' on the boob. They have a STRONG instinct to suck- it's great for them. Congrats on breastfeeding! If unlatching upsets the baby and your nipple is sore, switch boobies woman.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Mine used to fall asleep at the breast all the time. I did finally have to cut that off, or I'd have done nothing but sit in a chair for months. My boyfriend took a picture of both me and the baby sound asleep in a recliner once.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2013