"in my prayers"

On a forum I read, there's one particular poster who will use the phrase "you're in my prayers" for any little thing. If someone posts that 300 co-workers were laid off, but they were spared, she puts all this other person's co-workers "in her prayers." If someone's kid is home with a cold, the kid is "in her prayers." I believe people really pray for those they know, but all this online promise to pray, I just don't buy. When some random internet person tells you that you're in their prayers, do you believe they'll actually take time to pray "for that woman online with the little green alien picture" or is it just a platitude? If you say it, do you really take time out to pray each night for every tragic story you've read online that day?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it depends on the person. I think some are sincere and will pray for a general thing. Like "Dear god bless all those dear moms on CM that need your help/guidence,etc".

While others say it but never do it. They just feel they are being nice and reassuring.

I dont pray, so generally I will say You are in my thoughts and they are. Even if its for only a moment I wish them well and put out some positive energy into the universe on their behalf.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'd rather believe that the person is telling me the truth than not.

If I say I'll pray for someone I do.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I pray for everyone I say I am going to pray for. It doesnt take but a second to say a prayer for someone and God knows who the woman with the little alien icon is even if I dont.

Answer by gemgem at 1:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Alien? I thought it was an m&m or something. Where did I put my glasses?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I feel it is genuine. At that moment in time as she is writing "in my prayers"  this is a pray in itself. The thoughts alone are prayers. You can pray any time of the day & in the evening. I wouldn't be surprised if she does say pray again at night. Its her way of showing support. Not everyone does it this way but it works for her.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 1:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The answer to the green icon is 42.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• nope, it's an alien

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I don't pray, I light a candle and send out the energy requied for the request. I keep candles all over my house so yea I do my part.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with gemgem. I pray for everyone I say I'm going to. It only takes another second to mention that person,and we don't know, we might be the only person praying for that other person. Even if we don't know all the details of any particular situation, God does,and that's all that matters.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• LOL....I'm going to say a prayer for the little green alien Mom! roflmbo!! Honestly, I can say with all honestly and sincerity, if I say I'm going to pray for whatever it is, I do! Many times, right then and there I'll say a little prayer. I adore your wit and look forward to your sarcasm, wisdom and truths, I enjoy you, and I'll let you know right now, if I say I'm going to pray for you, I actually do!!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 6:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009