Celiac

Could use some advice for any fellow Celiac sufferers! I was recently diagnosed and am having a really hard time with it! I find myself cheating and suffering the consequences. It's not because I CAN'T go g-free. It's mainly because I get sooooo darn hungry and don't have time to go from store to store trying to find something that is gluten free and doesn't taste so bland! I found all of these wonderful recipes that I can make for my family and replace regular ingredients with my own gluten free ingredients but I find myself going from store to store trying to find gluten free stuff. Whole Foods has a great selection but not everything. How do you cook for your family and still find yummy things for yourself??

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I do not have this problem. But I do have diabetic and should eat less wheat products. It is hard for me. I love breads/pastas.
    I can't emagine having to go totally with out it.
    I am Diabetic and my DH isn't. But I cook everything for a diabetic. If he want past or bread. ge can make it himself.
    That is what you should do. Cook for your issues. If they want something else. Let them cook it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• We went gluten free for our kids about 10-12 years ago when there were far fewer options in stores for gluten free items. We didn't see any difference in the autism so we went back, but it was a change the whole family had to make - no cooking separate meals.
    You do have to plan better and that's tough. Find snacks that work for you and stock up! Designate one day as a baking day to make sure you keep things you can eat before you get too hungry. Research which restaurants have gluten free options (Zpizza, Chili's, Outback, On the Border, etc). It's a lifestyle change for sure!

Answer by missanc at 10:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I found it best NOT to replace gluten with gluten-free products since many of those GF products will still raise blood sugar levels and drive insulin levels higher, which in turns drives hunger ... not to mention they're typically more expensive. I found it best to go to a lo-carb lifestyle ... lean proteins, good quality fats, and lo-carb veggies. No hunger, no cravings, easy weight-loss, improved health and energy, better mental clarity, etc. Some celiacs I know have done great by switching to a paleo diet (that was too restrictive for me.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2013