Do you or have you taken Zyrtec?

for your allergies? How has it worked, do you like it? Have you experienced any itching?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Health

• My DH took it for a year... put him in a fog but he just thought he was tired from work. He ran out and felt like he was alive again!! Switched to Allegra and never felt better... worked better on his allergies too. I mentioned this to a nurse I worked with - she was also taking Zyrtec & experiencing the same side effect. She also stopped taking it and came out of the fog. It is a known side effect so beware!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• My son takes it. He has bad seasonal allergies. It's been great for him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I take the generic version, certirizine. It works great for me. You can ask the pharmacy if they carry it behind the counter, in the pharmacy. The ones we have in the pharmacy are 100 count bottles for 3.69. Save you about 10.00
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I use the generic version. So do my kids. It can take a couple days to work if we haven't been taking it everyday when the pollen is really bad. I get ours at Costco. It's something like $15 for 365 pills ( one a day). I used to take Allegra, but after moving and then trying it again I don't think it worked as well after our move. Not sure if it has to do with the kind of pollens and my body's reaction to it, but the generic Zyrtec works better for me now.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I've taken it. It works pretty well. I don't experience any itching or any other side effects, or at least nothing that's noticeable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• My older daughter takes it nightly, and it seems to work well for her.  I take it the night before I get my allergy shots.  It works pretty well, but I have to take a dose of Allegra about an hour before my shots to tone down reactions.  I can't take Zyrtec every  day.  It makes me drowsy and foggy-headed.  Allegra doesn't work as well, but it does give the Zyrtec a boost. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• DS took Zyrtec for a while, but it didn't really work for him. He does better on Claritan or Alaegra. He didn't have problems with being itchy though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I've taken it as well as my kids. My kids seem to do fine on it. But I didn't like it because it caused me to be extremely sleepy. It was like being on Benadryl! I wasn't sleepy the entire 24 hrs but for a good part of the day. I'd take it in the morning (as pharmacist directed) and by lunch I could hardly keep my eyes open and the sleepiness seemed to wear off about dinner time. I even tried taking it at different times of the day and it didn't matter. It did seem to help my allergies but I can't be that sleepy every day. I'm pretty susceptible to sleepiness as a potential side effect of any drug with that possibility. Now I take the adult Benadryl capsules. A full dose is 2 capsules each 25 mg and I'm able to tolerate 1 capsule for my seasonal allergies without sleepiness.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Zyrtec didn't work for me. Claratin and allegra do. I have contact dermatitis every spring and my Dr. said the allegra is better for that along with a topical cream.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• love it, never had a problem with it. it doesn't work for my dd though, she has to use claratin
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2013