The Trouble With Gods

This is a great piece, and to highlight those ideas that I think stand out the most would be to highlight pratically every paragraph.

Instead, I'll leave you with the conclusion (but implore you to read the entire thing if you plan to participate in a discussion about the article):

It seems to me that “God” has a stark choice. If it wants to be an authoritative or even just a helpful guide, it has to stay in contact—real contact, not pretend contact through other humans who simply say they know what God wants. Or, if it wants to stay hidden, it has to give up the authoritative role. It can’t do both and still claim to be supremely good. An out-of-contact boss god just hands us over to arbitrary human power; it’s the sanctification of human thuggery.

It’s long past time for human beings to recognize that.

The Trouble With Gods

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Are you the Anon that kept posting these things last week?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• The OP has never gone anon to post questions like this. So try answering the question instead of trying to pick a fight ANON.....
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I never post anon.  I loathe the idea.  It's cowardly. 

Do you have anything to say about the topic at hand - either for or against the ideas presented in the article?  If not, you are excused from the table. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2013

• It amazes me how so many humans purposefully block their ability for critical thinking. True, some are just plain stupid and, can't truly analyze "God". But, most have the ability but, willfully choose ignorance.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I haven't read the whole article yet, but I do agree with the conclusion you've posted. It makes perfect sense to me. It's like expecting your kids to listen to you but you never come out of your bedroom to do anything, you just slip notes under the door telling them what to do, how to behave, what to eat. It's an all or nothing proposition.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Except, to add to your illustration, rather than slipping notes under the door, instead, someone else appoints himself as intermediary, and tells your kids what he thinks you want them to do.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• This article just doesn't represent my faith or my approach to religion. We all have a conscious that we can use to evaluate decisions in our lives. We develop a well informed conscious through study and learning about subject matter.¬† Understanding the pros and cons of difficult decisions.¬† ¬†Because someone comes to a different conclusion about God doesn't make their thinking less evolved thinking. It's up to us how much we bring God into our lives. I don't think there is only one right way.

p>

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• There is mystery in this world and to say there is no possible way there is supernatural existence beyond what we can see, to me isn't an argument anyone can make. I do believe in God for many reasons. I can understand other people not knowing if there is a God, but I don't understand absolute certaintythat there is no God. Each person has to decide how much they believe in the possibility. For me it's very strong. I live by faith, if I there was no mystery involving God it wouldn't be called faith.
    RyansMom001

• I agree with RyansMom, we all have options to believe or not, I choose to believe because I am an optimist, always looking at the glass half full.....

Answer by older at 12:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• How is not believing in invisible gods pessimistic?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2013