Gay parents...

Ok I was reading about the importance of fatherhood on another post and I came think ok yes mothers are important and fathers are important but if everyone thinks then what about the children that will only have two fathers? And two mothers? I believe in 2013 " family" has whole different dynamic. No one knows yet how these children are going to turn out because it is so new in our society and the statistics are not available yet. I think family is a unit of people that love you and help you grow into a productive member of society and as long you are happy and have support it does not matter who is raising you.

Thoughts?

I was raised by two parents and grandparents. I had extended family raise me and it was fantastic. A good loving family is what is important.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• A loving family is what matters! if you have a mom and dad and are abused how would that be better than having same sex parents? I don't understand why ppl can't see that sexual orientation has nothing to do with ability to raise a child.
    Beautiful_Mess

Answer by Beautiful_Mess at 12:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My daughter and her partner are raising a newborn they plan to adopt, and she is showered with attention and love 24/7 if not by them by the rest of the family. A child only needs to be nurtured to thrive...the gender of the one nurturing does not matter. And FYI there are studies out there on children being raised by gay parents, and the conclusion was they come out very stable and no different than the traditional family.

Answer by older at 6:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• and the statistics are not available yet.

But they are!! search and you shall find....gender roles can be attained a number of ways, all a child needs to flourish is love, and nurturing, and this can come from both genders...

Answer by older at 9:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Well, it's a lot newer then what they call the nuclear family. I am just saying from another post. They say if you have no father statistic show this blah blah blah. I do not think there is enough children to make statistics because in the past you could never come out in public. Not in the world today I am talking generation past. I mean of course statistics are not always right but they need years and years and hundreds of people to study. That is what I was talking about. I know they can be productive members of society I am not saying that. Of course just like the single mother raising a son statistics shows children of single parents will end up in a certain situation. I do not believe statistics and the word family has changed so much. That what I am saying. These old statistics are out dated.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• A child needs love.
    Plain and simple.
    Where this love comes from has no bearing on how the child receives it.....whats most important is that they receive it.

The ideas of gender roles are antiquated.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I think children need a loving environment where they can develop themselves in the best possible way, I don't think the gender of those raising the child makes much of a difference.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• As long as all their needs are being met, I think a family is whoever holds your hair back during stomach flu season :)

IE gay parents with a 12 year old trying to figure out how to size a bra, soothe period cramps, tampon VS pad, etc better have an aunt on speed dial pre-lined up otherwise their lack of planning shows a lack of care.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• As long as a child is loved and cared for, I don't think it matters if it's a same sex couple, straight couple or a single parent.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I think the emphasis really is that its best for a child to have a happy and healthy 2 parent household, not necessarily that they fit their required gender roles.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Children need both male and female positive role models. I do ot think the part of positive role models has to be played exclusively by a 'mother' and 'father'.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2013