Puppy got an x-ray, she ate a foreign object and may need surgery :(

I posted a few days ago about our 5 month old puppy and how she was vomiting and had diarrhea. We took her to the vet and they took an x-ray revealing something foreign in her stomach. If she doesn't poop it out she may need surgery :( Has anyone gone through this before? How much did it cost you? Im sure it will cost a pretty penny.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Pets

• No, thank God. Yes that will cost you an arm and leg probably. Before I would commit to surgery, I'd get a second opinion though. Vets can try to screw you over. What I would do is go to a little "country vet" if you have one nearby. They are more open to honesty. You don't want to commit to surgery and then have it be something else and the puppy wind up dying. You'd still be obligated for the bill. Get a second opinion.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Another thing to think about is a University that has a vet program. The students usually do it for a lot cheaper if it does need surgery.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• m-avi gave some great suggestions. I would just like to add that you discuss payment arrangements ahead of time, if it turns out surgery is necessary. IDK about you, but most of us don't have about $2,000 just lying around for such things. :/ Hope it all works out for you. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• My mom had a dog that swallowed a piece of a hard plastic toy and needed surgery to get it removed. I don't recall how expensive it was, but I know she came through the surgery just fine and recovered pretty easily. Good luck.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• That can cost a fortune and depending on how the puppy is doing healthy wise there is no guaranteeing he will make it through surgery. I agree I would get a second opinion.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Well if you cannot afford to get a 2nd opinion, look at the x-ray yourself. You will see if there is something in there. And if your puppy does need surgery, here are some links that may help you with the expense..

http://www.redrover.org/node/1198

http://www.onyxandbreezy.org/

And depending on what state you live in OP, there may be more. What state do you live in OP??

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Yikes! I remember you. Sad puppy! I agree, it will be expensive. Let's hope puppy can pass the object on their own.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• michigan-mom, i live in illinois. And a little update, she seems to have more energy today. Im really hoping that whatever she swallowed is passing through!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Back around 1998 we had icicles on our Christmas tree. Every now and again, we would see one sticking out of one of our cats' butts and just pull it out (I know...eww...). Well, we noticed one night that there was a ball of icicles sticking out from one's rear and it wouldn't budge when we pulled a little. Took as an emergency visit to our vet and he had to do emergency surgery on her. He said it almost got all the way through, but was stuck at the last turn of the intestine. Back then, it all cost $400. Now, it would probably be $600+
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Do you know what the object is? Waiting for it to pass is advisable unless it can break into small pieces and block the intestines. I had a golden retriever who ate a package of rubber bands, God only knows why. I had to go ahead with the surgery. She was a young dog and had been trained as a guide for me. The surgery cost me about $750, but that was in the early nineties. Thankfully, it wasn't too hard for her to recover from. A few days of soft food, some painkillers, and a cone-shaped thing to go over her face and keep her from biting at the stitches, which came out in about a week. The cone was the worst torture for her because she couldn't get her nose down to sniff the ground, so there were some issues with her not wanting to relieve herself because she couldn't catch a good scent.

Best of luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2013