SAHM's what do you do for spending $?

Do you just use the joint account? Does your hubby give you an allowance? Do you have a work from home job?

txnmomof4

Asked by txnmomof4 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• My husband and I discuss everything before we spend money on it. It's all our money. Even though he's "going to work" and earning a paycheck, it's still my money, too. Just like everything I earn on my own is also his money.

I do internet marketing and Ebay for the most part.
    http://divinerighttoberich.com
    http://drtbr.com
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• there was a stretch of time shortly after we got married (from the point I was about 13 weeks preggo til about 75 days after childbirth when I was declared permanently disabled the the monthly checks starting coming in) where I relied entirely on my husbands income. It was especially awful since we needed a crib, carseat, etc etc for 1st kiddo!!! What worked for us was 3 piles of money. BILLS... baby savings...... and date night. We each got the same amount of "allowance" and it could be used towards a $6 fancy coffee on his way to work, a beer with his buddies. or I could take him to a movie, or get fancy lotion, etc. It worked well for us, having the same dollar amount
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• oh: role reversed and we did the same thing. husband snapped his leg in a fall at work and we only had MY income for awhile. I made sure that we each had some "mad money" although the dollar amount was very, very small. I used mine for name brand pop and he used his for similar comfort items like magazines and chocolate :) I think the allowance thing is only fair and right if both parties are equal in it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I have my own checking account in addition to our joint. We put money in my personal account out of the joint account just for my use. But I'm a saver, not a spender so it goes a long way.

Answer by missanc at 5:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• we have the account I use to buy the things we need/use

he pays bills out of his (mostly)

as for "allowance" if I want or need something he usually tells me to get it- but I ask if it's more than say 20 bucks
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I get $545 from the VA each month. After my car payment, the rest is mine.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Scentsy. :)
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I work from home and contribute most of the household income, but I firmly believe in separate accounts, even if someone is a SAHM. I was a housewife in a former relationship. No kids, but no money of my own, either. I won't be in that position again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• We don't necessarily have allowances, but will look at the money and see if we can afford it and if we can then we purchase it. When I go out of town for work I do give my DH cash for fun money cause he is horrible at keeping track of what he spends and doesn't always check to see what is being spent when.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Allowance?? give me a break
    We have a joint account. It's OUR money,not his

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2013