Please explain/help me understand?

A 5 year old child gets hit by a car. The resulting impact breaks both bones in the lower leg, a few inches above the ankle. Child is placed in a full leg cast from mid thigh down over the toes.

A month goes by.

Child is taken back to the doctor to evaluate the healing process. More X-rays clearly show that the bone is BARELY healed. There is SOME healing above and below the fracture sites, but the original fracture is still quite visible. And, the X-ray's show that the bone is healing crooked and the leg is no longer straight.

With that information, how the HELL does the child go home with no cast??!? The parents and the child are told that the child is to walk carefully until there is no pain. Then the child can try jumping and running.

At this point the child can't even walk normally, the knee has stiffened up, making the child walk the same as if the cast was still on. Yes, the child has already been weight bearing on the original cast.

Please help me understand?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 5:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I'd be terribly uncomfortable with that.
    However I cannot imagine a full month with my kid laid up like that!

I'd think there's a looooooooot of questions to ask.... tons of 'em
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I think I would be finding another Ortho.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• First of all he shouldn't have been walking on the first cast that is why it wasn't healing correctly. Secondly, mom needs to bring him to a different doctor because he should at least be in a walking cast until the bone is fully healed.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I'm sorry, I'm not a doctor so, I don't understand. Logically, I'd think that a pin of some sort would have to be placed to hold the fracture together & to keep it straight, while another cast of some sort was applied. But, again, I don't have a physical medical background so, I really can't say. If it's your child, I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• i would get a 2nd opinion
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I have never heard of any one being in a cast for only 4 weeks. Is that common?
    Even teen had cast on for 6 weeks and that was a "minor" wrist fracture. It took several months after for him to be able to use it correctly. He complained of weakness and minor pain after the cast was removed.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• and when i broke both of those bones as a teen i was in the cast for over 6 weeks and then eventually had a brace for support because the bones weren't strong enough to support my weight without support.

and you most definitely CAN walk in a cast. in fact before i was released from hospital I HAD to prove I was mobile.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• oh, wouldn't there be some physical therapy to transition into full weight baring?
    It's all a fishy mess. Check doctors credentials and fine a replacement at a pediatric hospital

It was a car hit, right? Is this some crummy lawyer suggested doctor to avoid a lawsuit?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Not my child, but I am involved in the child's life.

Doc said to keep an eye on the child, and the leg, and if the bones have not straightened themselves out in six months they will have to rebreak the leg and put pins in.

I agree that the child should not have been walking on that first cast. Sadly, the child refused to even TRY using the crutches provided, and the parents let it happen.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• when my son had an extra toe removed at shriners while he was a toddler, they casted him. i wanted to keep him off of it. they said, how are you going to accomplish that?
    you are supposed to walk so all the muscles do not atrophy because again, as above, you are going to lose strength because of the cast not allowing a full range of muscular activity.

kids not using crutches is common

How did the parents let it happen? I am assuming the accident?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2013