how do you handle constant fits

My son who is 7 has mini emotional explosions at just about anything. It really pushes my buttons, and I lose the ability to stay focused on CHOOSING how to react. He becomes totally illogical, crying, getting angry, storming away at times. I honestly don't know the best way to handle this. Firstly I need to learn how to not get so pissed myself when he does it. It especially gets me when we are getting ready to go somewhere or do something and this fit takes the place of getting ready in a timely manner. other than that though, Im sure it just triggers my own defensive nature whenever anyone gets upset at me and I get very on edge and fell like i need to fight back and/or defend myself.

Any suggestions?

thistle7

Asked by thistle7 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son doesn't throw fits, so I can't really tell you any personal experience with handling them, but if he DID throw fits I would ignore them so that he would realize there is not payoff for having a tantrum. If children realize there will be no good outcome from having a tantrum, they will eventually stop. Sometimes they get worse before they get better, but they will stop if they get the same reaction (no appeasing, no rewards, no attention) for their poor behavior. I hope that makes sense. If you are having a hard time staying calm while these fits are underway, leave the room. Take some deep breaths, have a cold drink of water. Wait until your child is calmer and tell them you can now have a civilized talk about what is bothering him. If he sees you acting calm and not reacting to the fits, it should help him to calm down faster.
    Anonymous

• My boys were like this... my suggestions are walk away when he has fits, ha start having your own fits so he can see how it feels ( I did this one lol) Once everything calms down then have a talk and ask what is the problem? When I threw my fits I started screaming AHHHHH and ran around the house lol they stopped and looked, then I ran in the room and slammed the door. Afterwards they asked me did I want to talk about it lol
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 2:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If they throw a fit at home I walk away and ignore them, if they dare do it in public they get spanked right then and there.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• spank that butt and that will put a stop to that i had that tried that with me once and see here momma dont play i got ahold of that butt and that aint happened in 7 years hes 10 now.if you let them get away with it then they will never stop. as long as you spank them and NOT beat them then there is nothing wrong with it.
    motheroftrouble

Answer by motheroftrouble at 12:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son threw a major fit at dinner because I had the nerve to serve dinner during SpongeBOB. Imagine! What was I thinking? I told him he had two choices, either sit down and eat quietly or sit on the couch while my dad and I ate and then go to bed. He sucked it up and ate his dinnerin lightening speed.
    Oh, and I did put him to bed a half hour early. Yell at me for fixing dinner and expecting him to eat it at the table? I think not. HA!
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Four of my grandkids live with me. Ages..15 months..5,5, and 8. Fits are inevitable around here. I have tried to pick my battles and what seems important. I found myself getting to aggravated and becoming a yelling Nana. I am still guilty of it but things are getting better. I try to use a time out punishment if what they do warants it.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2009