If your sister said that ONLY your daughter was invited to her kid's birthday party...

and your son and YOU and YOUR WIFE were not invited,would you allow your daughter to attend?
It's at a place similar to Chuck E Cheese's,but geared more towards kids 8-14
Daughter is 10,son is 8

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, I think that's awful. You are family. If this were a friend's sibling, that would be different because you can't take everyone's sibling or the birthday party would be too big/expensive. But you guys are family. Sad.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Maybe she had to give a number of guests ahead of time. For those parties, they charge per person. They calculate slices & tokens for each party goer too. I'm guessing cost is a factor. You guys could stay & pay for your own pizza & tokens for your son.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I'd find that weird, for sure, and I'd ask why. Though, I'm assuming it's a cost issue. Or, maybe a "for girls only" party (if her child is a girl). I wouldn't throw a fit over it. I don't believe in just fighting with family. If my DD wanted to go, I'd drop her off & pick her up.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• ^^^Well, honestly, if he has sensory issues then Chuck E Cheese may really not be the best place for him. Loud noises (music, games, rides & other kids) & tons of flashing lights. I don't even have sensory issues & that place stresses me out.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• If it wasn't a cost issue, and other families were invited, then no way. You either get my family as a whole, issues accepted, or you don't get us at all. My sister tried something along those lines at her son's birthday party four years ago, actually she came out and said she didn't want my stepson there because of his ADHD and Aspie issues, although we didn't know he had Asperger's at the time. He doesn't operate like someone of his annual age, and she didn't want to have to explain his problems to her kids. I told her I thought her attitude was disgusting, and that her kids wouldn't grow up tolerating differences very well, and we've had virtually no contact since then.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I have no problem with only one kid going to a party and do not understand this family in attendance thing.

But, you have strange family dynamics. Is this a dig of some sort based on her past behavior?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• No I would not let her go, the family is a unit that does not separate, or discriminate, it is all or nothing from me.....

Answer by older at 7:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• If a family member actually told me my DH wasn't welcome I wouldn't go. I can understand only inviting one child if there is an age difference, but to make a point of telling me not to bring my husband, no way.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• i am really torn on this. are other family members/ spouses and kids invited?
    is this only one kid being singled out?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• No. I think that's horrible that they are excluding him.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2013