Help, why isnt my 21 month old not sleeping?

Lately my 21 month old DD has stopped taking naps and sleeping through the night. She goes to bed around the same time and I know she is just resisting sleeping and naps, however we will put her to bed btwn 8-830 and she lays down (I know this is bad) with a bottle. She drinks it then falls asleep, not more than 2-3 hours later she wakes up. When she wakes up, she is screaming bloody murder. We then get a small bottle and when we try to put her back in her crib, she refuses. She screams so I put her in there and let her cry, however she cries so hard she makes her self puke so we have had to put her in bed with us. (which I hate) and try to get her to fall asleep that way. Depending on how she feel is if she falls asleep quick or takes an hour. Once she is asleep we cannot put her in bed or she automatically wakes up. We are just are so lost on what to do. She was sleeping through the night early in age. Then the past 3-4 months she just wont sleep. She wakes up 2-3 times every night. Any Advice would be GREAT and I know she shoudl not be going to bed with a bottle and I will be tackling that soon, however right now I gotta get some sleep.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Eh, they go through stages. I'm 40 something and I still don't sleep through the night. She might be having some night terrors, or she might just be testing you. They start developing their own independence and personalities now, so my advice is to strategize. Whatever routine is good for all of you is what will work best. Nothing wrong with her.....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I am just starting "sleep training" but we co -sleep. you may want to Google the term until you find a method you are comfortable with

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Has she slept all night prior to this? If so, could she be teething or have an earache? It is also possible what M-avi said about night terrors. I had to let mine cry it out and it was a gradual thing that should begin at around 3 months when a baby can learn to put themselves to settle down on their own to sleep.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• It could be something medical like an ear ache or reflux. First I would try putting a small nightlight or one of those pillow pets with the lights so if she wakes up in the middle of the night she has some light. My son also liked having some white noise in the background like a radio station set to static or they make white noise machines it helps light sleepers not hear every little noise in the house.

At this point you can let her self soothe. Are you running in there the minute she cries or are you letting her fuss a little before checking on her? Maybe if you let her fuss a little she will go back to sleep on her own without the screaming and vomiting.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Changes in sleep pattern are quite normal. Sleeping all night, not such a common thing, really. If not napping doesn't make her an absolutely miserable human being, you can probably ditch the naps. They only need so much sleep a day and if they're getting it in the daytime they won't sleep at night.

Absolutely ditch the bottles; they're just giving fuel for that puke, beyond the potential for mouth and tooth trouble.

Is she tired when you're putting her to bed? Or over-tired? Or still raring to go? The latter two choices indicate a need to change bedtime. If over-tired, earlier. And expect her to wake briefly. Not a big deal. If she's raring to go when bedtime rolls around, then bedtime is too early.

It will take experimenting on your part. But don't feel bound to, "She must have x number of hours of sleep." One size doesn't fit all; some of us do better on less and some do better on more.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I started putting some soft music on for my daughter when she had trouble sleeping throughthe night, but it was a CD so it would shut off after all of the songs were finished. Sometimes I'd have to go in and turn the music on again, but she came to associate certain CD's with sleeping, and they would help her self-soothe. Also, what works for one won't work fr another. I never could rock my baby to sleep. I had to put her down awake and let her drift off on her own. I let her have a few small toys in bed and didn't mind if she played with them till she dozed off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2013