Medical Advice on CM

Taken with a grain of salt. Researched. The word of God.

How do you determine if the info is valid, helpful and currently AMA suggested.

Over the past few weeks I have seen some, (what I consider appalling) words of wisdom.

Always apply heat to a muscle injury, no matter how long ago the injury occurred.
Let 12 week old CIO
Immobilize 8 month old kids.
Limit an 8 week olds time on the breast
Spank a kid that has toilet training issues

These examples are not just found in Answers. They are throughout CM.

The question: Once you ask a question and receive suggestions, do you research or just follow ?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 9:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in About CafeMom

• that one was just for you!

I love you!! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• On the receiving side, I always take it with a grain of salt and do some additional research.

On the giving side, I always try to give advice based on my own experience or research and if I researched something I will cite it so that the recipient can look at my research too. I don't want to give someone bad advice or something I wouldn't do for myself or my child.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Google should be used to verify. My crap guys.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Always apply heat to a muscle injury, no matter how long ago the injury occurred.

This one BUGS the shit out of me like no other!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I rarely ask medical questions on here, if ever. If for some reason I do have to ask something medical, its something I'm already handling IRL and want to hear others experiences with it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I've used advice from CM on various issues as a jumping-off place. Something to chew on, something to validate my instincts or tell me I'm way off. I don't blindly follow the advice of anybody, including doctors, ministers, or family members I know in person. I love you all, but sorry--no blind faith in the wisdom of CM strangers! And if someone follows my advice blindly, without plugging in her brain and thinking for herself, well--if I knew who she was and where she lived, I'd kick her dumb ass myself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I give advice based off experience  A some common scene.

Now days  do tell cafemomers to ask/talk to a doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

***

pretty much the same here
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• No. I punctuated that myself. As in MY GOD! only MY CRAP!

I punctuated this one myself too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2013