Good gifts for homebirth mama that is inexpensive to mail internationally?

Good friend is in India far away from friends and family and this will be her second baby. I'm bad with knitting and crochet but I can make soap and I have lavender and rosemary in my yard (should have some chamomile later on but that could take awhile). So I thought about making some soap and maybe a receiving blanket since I only have to edge that.

But any other ideas? It must be organic and not plastic basically for them. I also kind of was hoping to send something for her since it can't be easy to have a baby so far from your family, any ideas? .

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• No plastic for the baby or in general? I was thinking while she was in labor, some sort of massager would be nice. I know last time I went to the dollar store, they had the three prong plastic versions for $1 each? How about scented massage oil? Just thinking of something that might be good during labor.

As far as the baby, I think an organic soap would be a wonderful gift!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Maybe a phone card that she can use to call her family.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Your best bet would be to buy something online that could be delivered to her house.

My husband used to work in the international department for UPS. A 1 pound bag of M&M's from Seattle to Russia cost the person sending it $100 in shipping fees alone. That's not counting the duties and all that on the Russian side.

There is NOTHING inexpensive about shipping internationally. The smaller and lighter the better.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• A bottle of vodka lol I'm just being silly

I ship internationally a lot, smaller lighter the better is true, maybe a birthing gown.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• are there any malls in India?? any where? any bigger names stores?
    a gift card for baby & Mom is what i'd say but I have no idea of whats there etc. anf it is light to mail
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• There might be some bigger name stores in New Delhi but I didn't see any in Kerala.

@Mom-2-3-Girlz No plastic in general.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Can she redeem a gift card online? Maybe one to amazon...they have everything
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• how far apart is that for her to go too?? I'd send a gift card they surely would use it I'm sure
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• Hmmm. What about a gift certificate to an online store like www.motherlove.com? That site has a lot of herbal stuff, much of it organic, things for mom during pregnancy and labor and also for babies. I don't know where all tey ship to, but I loved that site, and that way the mom could pick out what she'd be most likely to use.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2013

• I would imagine a scented soap would please her as well. I am a fan of baby wash cloths. or a hooded baby towel. Lotions might be nice for mom especially one that aids in reducing stretch marks.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2013