How to get my 2 and half year old to use her potty chair?

My 2 and half year old takes her diaper off and then pees right on the floor after I had already asked her if she needed to potty a few minutes prior. I have tried the bribing of candy. I have tried the underwear thing. Nothing seems to be working. Any Suggestions?

Whatznext

Asked by Whatznext at 12:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had absolutely no luck with the potty chair. None. But then I bought one of those padded ring seat thingies that goes on the regular toilet, and things got a lot better. Two and a half is still pretty young, so it may be that your little girl doesn't yet know when she has to go. If that's the case, time will help. But if she really hates the potty chair, try the big girl potty with a seat instead.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Try putting the potty chair in the bathroom and go with her, explain to her your your gonna potty and ask her to join you while she sits in the potty you use the toilet.
    Gaby07

Answer by Gaby07 at 6:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• What do you do when she pees on the floor? Does she seem to be doing it defiantly or on accident? I wouldn't punish a kid at this age either way, but I would/did calmly but seriously make it clear that peeing on the floor is messy and not good. And I'd have her help clean it up (as much as is reasonable for such a little kid). And after cleaning up, I'd make her sit on the potty for a while and try to go instead of just asking. It's okay if nothing happens, but it's good to sit and try.

If it's turning into a battle, I'd back off the training for a while. And when we start again I'd make a bigger deal about going in the potty just to make sure she prefers to get her attention the right way. I'd try to find what motivates her - praise, time/attention with mommy, rewards, etc. and use that.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Hi just what worked for us. My 27 month old son hates clothes and decided to strip naked and pee a little on the carpet. I told my husband to put him on the big boy toilet (cuz we just moved and didn't have access to his potty chair). And to our suprise he peed on the big boy toilet. Might try it. After a week of doing it he pee's and poo's in the toilet. Also he refused to do it in his potty chair. Hope that helps.
    mrsgoetz1234

Answer by mrsgoetz1234 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2013