How to make Baked Potatoes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We wrap ours in a wet paper towel and use the bake potatoe button. I think it's around 5 minutes or so. Try 5 minutes and poke it with a fork, if it doesn't slid through easily it isn't done. Then add cheese, sourcream, bacon bites and enjoy!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Take your potato, stab some holes in the top with a fork (about 3 different times) and stick in in the oven on 350' for about 45 mins. they are done when you can easily stick a fork into it...if you have to force the fork they are not done.

You also can wrap them in tinfoil before you stick them in the oven...but really it is up to you. They will cook either way.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just to clarify, I am talking about in an oven, and it sounds like sidzwif is talking about a microwave.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Set your oven to 400 degrees, then wash potatoes with plain water, rinse and dry. Place potatoes on individual sheets of aluminum foil. From here I always place a small pad of butter on each potatoes, sprinkle a bit of garlic powder, and a few slices of onion. Then I wrap them in the foil, place them on a baking sheet, then into the oven for about an hour. After an hour, poke them with a knife or toothpick if they are still sort of uncooked, go ahead and bake for more time.
    Anonymous

• You can do it in the microwave - about 8 - 12 mins depending on the potato size.

In the oven is better. Set the temp at about 375. Put metal cooking nails or metal cooking skewers through the middle of the long part of the potato. Spray them with cooking oil and put them on foil on the racks in the oven. Cook about 1 1/2 hours. They come out GREAT this way.
    Anonymous

• I am obsessed with 'Good Eats' and 'America's Test Kitchen' - by far the best baked potato I've ever had is made this way:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Scrub potatoes, dry them off, & poke holes in them.
    3. Lightly coat them with olive oil (doesn't have to be the super expensive kind - any olive oil is OK)
    4. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.
    5. Put the potatoes RIGHT on the oven rack - do NOT wrap in foil (makes the skin soggy), don't put them on a pan...just stick them right on the rack. I do usually line a sheet pan with foil and put it on the rack *under* the potatoes so any oil dripping doesn't land on the heating element...
    6. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
    7. To open them for eating, stab a line of holes the long way down the potato, then gently push the ends together. It'll pop open and look like baked potatoes do in pictures.

Best baked potatoes ever!
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just to add/confirm/agree with what ErinMarie said........... if you like a crispy skin, do not use foil, foil will steam the potato. Just prick some holes in it and throw them in the oven with whatever you are cooking, 45-1 hour depending on the oven temp. Sometimes I do a 1/2 microwave 1/2 bake, throw them in the microwave to start them, maybe 3 mins or so and finish up in the oven to quicken the process but still get a crispy skin....hands down though, best BPs are just as Erin wrote...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think if you do not use foil your BP skin will turn into dried out nasty leather. Yuck! Anyway- I would have to agree with all of the above suggestions other then the no foil thing
    Anonymous

• google alton brown's baked potato recipe.... it's good
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Preheat oven (I do it at 375), rinse/wash potatoes and pat them dry. Brush them with oil or melted butter), sprinkle with salt, poke them with a fork a few times, wrap them in foil, and bake until they're soft when you slightly squeeze them (with an oven mitt on, of course).
    Anonymous