What's the difference in hoisin sauce and schezuan?

Like the difference in taste?

I'm going to try learning to make stir frys at the request of the kids. I have a recipe that calls for schezuan but I only bought hoisin sauce. Will it make a huge difference.

Also, any advice on cooking Chinese food?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 9:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Hoisin sauce is salty, sweet and can be lightly spicy.
    Schezwan sauce is more spicy, stronger in flavor.

Chinese food is one of my favorite ones to cook. In Chinese food you can just mix and match in a wok. Choose a protein, vegetables and sauce and sautée it on a very hot wok, serve it with fried rice and you have a meal.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I think of hoisin as an asian BBQ sauce. Schezwan is much spicier.

The only advice I can add... if you're going to do it, use 'real' ingredients that are common in chinese cooking, not knock off american versions.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Schezuan sauce is a made from a chili paste of Sichuan peppers
    Hoisin is made from plums/prunes

Schezuan is spicy
    Hoisin is sweet/savory - prunes, garlic, etc.

Schezuan is used as a sauce
    Hoisin is used more like a barbeque sauce - baste meat or for dipping.

If you use it in your stir fry, use sparingly and add sesame oil and shoyu or soy sauce to cut the strong flavor.

To make life much more simple, just buy a stir fry sauce or use a combo of soy/teryaki, sesame oil, garlic, a little ginger, and if you want to add spice, sprinkle a bit of red pepper flakes.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I LOVE Oyster sauce! It does not taste like you just sucked an oyster out of the shell don't worry. It's got a sweet taste. I put it in stir fry, on steaks, I even put it on pasta once.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2013