Agree or disagree

autism makes you ( the parent ) different 
and different is not weird, it is beautiful

* and the anon from the other question, if you come into here, this is for you

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 10:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Just for Fun

• agree, It's great to be different good

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I would think so, yes.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I don't know since my kids aren't Autistic. I think it certainly makes your parenting experience different than mine, where you may have to have more patience and more understanding. You could tell me what it's like and while I might understand and can empathize with you and your child on the effects Autism has made one your lives, I do not really grasp the experience you have had. I hope that makes sense.

FWIW, I don't think I would call it weird.  It's just your own reality and experience.  We all have our own.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• the OP in the other question used the word weird as she was speaking about herself
    not a child with autism

she thought she was weird for thinking/acting a certain way
    and not really as a parent, but a person herself

everyone changes as a person when they become a parent, a parent who deal with autism- just might change in ways they never expected..maybe more open to things, 'social boundaries' once thought to be social rules or norm, might not be there anymore

it can be freeing

l
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Yeah,I'm definitely different

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Oh yeah!! I'm definitely different, and proud of it!!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• We should adapt to our situations. The only weird people out there are those who don't change when they become parents, and they don't change based on their children's needs. I don't have autistic children, but I have had to become a homeschooling mom in order to meet my son's needs.

I like it on the dark side (whichever dark side we may be on). There's always cookies and vodka here.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I'll let you know. Right now it all still feels weird.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• "The only weird people out there are those who don't change when they become parents, and they don't change based on their children's needs."

Untrue. Learning to adapt takes time. Doesn't mean I haven't changed, doesn't mean I won't change even more. But change feels weird.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Differences are what makes the world work.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2013