Did you ever have to take a pet to the shelter?

What was your experinece? They tried to bully me to keep a cat even though I explained that my kid was now allergic. They wanted me to medicate my child!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Pets

• no, I never have but my kids are more important to me than any animal ever will be, and I have a dog rescue in my back yard!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Umm you should have tried medication first, I'd never take an animal to a shelter most of them end up dead. You should have tried to rehome her.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I have never taken a pet to the shelter and I really don't see many instances that would arise to have me take a pet to the shelter. In fact, about the only one is if the pet was just mean. When we get a pet, we firmly believe that they are a part of our family for their rest of their lives. Allergies is no reason, IMO, to surrender a pet to the shelter...I would maybe attempt to give the pet to someone I could trust to care for it, but not a shelter, no.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Well at least they took the kitty, and thanks for taking it to a no kill shelter, I have never taken an animal to a shelter, we live out where people dump animals on us all the time, but somehow have managed to find homes for most of them, some of them have just stayed, LOL! We did get a goat dumped on us once, and my friend who has a farm took that!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Yes I have. One cat I took to a "no-kill" shelter. That one was an ultimatum from my husband: get rid of it or I'll drop it off at the nearest park. The cat had started pooping around the house at the same time my oldest had learned to crawl. I LOVED that cat, he'd spend all day in my lap. Dropped it off, sobbing, at 2pm. The shelter told me there was a 24 hour observation period. I called at 9am the next morning and they told me they'd put the cat down already. Because I was so emotional about surrendering him, I forgot to mention that he HATED being picked up and carried. In hindsight I think it was because his previous owners had declawed him.

continued
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I have when I had to move out of state and couldn't take my cats with me. My oldest cat my family took but my 2nd cat I tried my best to find a owner, tried for over a month. So I finally took her in but they had a drop off box that you dropped animals in after hours so I just did that. I dropped her off at a no-kill shelter as well.
    I would have been up in her face about saying to medicate your child. Who are they to say that? I wouldn't make my child suffer fromt he affects of the medicine for an animal.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• About a year later we had to surrender the other two cats we got at the same time as the above, from the same people. My oldest was now walking and thought it was FUN to grab their tails and go running through the house. Because they didn't have front claws my son would laugh as the female (blue cream) beat the hell out of him, trying to protect herself.

We surrendered to a different shelter than the first, those cats deserved better than what my house could provide. This other shelter gave us the option to reclaim our animals if they couldn't be adopted, for a hefty "donation". I called every few days and in about 2 months they both got adopted out.

It's heartbreaking (to me) to get rid of a four legged member of my family. BUT, pets are pets, my family's health and well being come first.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I had to take my cat back to the No Kill Humane Society where we got him, I had him for 4 years and it was devastating for me, I was crying the whole time but I could not afford to feed him. I didn't have a phone, internet nothing like that at the time. It was literally between baby formula or cat food so I had to give him back.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Taking a pet to a shelter is as good as a death sentence even though they say they are no kill, they lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there is no way a shelter can keep all of them alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am allergic to cats too, but after a while you get immune and symptoms are not as bad, and yes medication helps....but taking a pet to a shelter is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! put an ad in craigslist or something find him a home not his death!

Answer by older at 12:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I did. I asked every person I know, made up flyers, etc.
    This is a no-kill shelter and I gave a big fat donation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2013