Peeling fingertips

The skin on my fingertips (mainly index and thumbs) has started to peel. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

winterglow

Asked by winterglow at 12:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• It sounds like you touched a strong chemical. Some cleaning product, perhaps?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• The dry weather &/or maybe it's happening from washing dishes. I get that in the winter since it's dry & I'm always washing something in the sink. Use more hand cream and gloves to clean & wash dishes.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Mine did this once from touching nail polish remover too much. Very red and sore. (I soaked a wash rag cuz it was so difficult to remove.) Any exposure to new products or chemicals?
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Go see a dermatologist or your doctor, they can tell you why this is happening....

Answer by older at 1:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• my finger tips peel from time to time and palms too. It's the strangest thing.

It started in Jr. High when I took a photography class and we developed our own film. I never used gloves when developing my photos so my hands were always in those chemicals. I thought it was just that, but ever since then about 2x a year my finger tips (some or all) and/or palms will peel. I couldn't begin to explain why - I just say I'm molting.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Are you recently getting over an illness, in particular Strep? The Strep bug & antibiotics can cause skin to peel on hands & feet. When in doubt, ask the Dr.  GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• and my dermatologist and doctor don't really have any idea why it's happening either... if yours have a reason, let me know!
    I've never had strep and RARELY take antibiotics (I think it's been 5 years or more since I last took a course of anti-biotics).
    I don't use chemicals to clean and if I do need to use them for some reason, I always wear thick rubber gloves.

But really, if you figure it out, let me know!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• It hasn't been dry here and I don't wash many dishes by hand.

It just seems strange that it's so localized.

Thanks for helping!
    winterglow

Comment by winterglow (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Well ladies, you have certainly given me a lot of food for thought!

No illness, no strep, no nail varnish ... BUT ... I did try out a new (organic) bathroom cleaning product about a week ago and most of the peeling is on my left hand which is the one that holds the sponge. Looks like I have probably got my culprit. The peeling has nearly stopped today. Looks like I'll be wearing gloves in future.

Thank you all for your help it was much appreciated!
    winterglow

Comment by winterglow (original poster) at 3:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2013