Do you ever get to take it easy after surgeries or illness?

I had gallbladder surgery last Tuesday and I'm just thinking of how much better I'd feel now if I would have sat down more this past week. With a 7 1/2 yr old and an 8mo old I just don't feel that it's possible. I feel like I've wasted my day but I needed a lazy day. I have a bad habit of keep moving until I absolutely can't anymore, even though I know better.

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 3:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Health

• Illness? No. Surgery? Yes. I've had 2 surgeries, one was my c-section with my youngest, and the other was when I broke my ankle. My ankle I had no choice but to take it easy because being on crutches, I really wasn't able to do much of anything. My kids were a huge help to me when that happened, they would bring me a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast, make me lunch or bring me the makings for a sandwich for lunch, so all I had to cook was dinner, and my oldest would help with that, draining pans and putting things in and out of the oven. In fact, my broken ankle is the ONLY reason he started learning how to cook at age 9. lol They would also take care of the dishwasher, and helped me wash laundry - it got stuck in baskets and that was about it until I was healed, but at least we had clean clothes! lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Yes, it is not smart not to, because if you relapse you are screwed!

Answer by older at 3:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I never could rest when the boys were small, and I was married to my first husband. He was a real dick, and would intentionally leave me home alone with the little ones whenever I was ill or had surgery of some kind. He told me I hadnt earned his kindness.... whatev.

Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I had my gallbladder out a few months aftr my baby was born five years ago. I had about 48 hours of help, then it was back on duty. Not the best course of action because I was still recovering from my C-section, and healing took a lot longer than it would have if I'd found a way to take it easy more. Being indispensable, or feeling that way, can cost more than it's worth!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I've only had surgery once since having kids, and my mom was around to help out a ton. She'd be a huge help again if I needed her in that way. If I'm sick, or the kids are sick, she's great about bringing us quick fix foods or drinks, but she's not hanging around because she worries about catching the illness herself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Well, you're finding out that moms just aren't allowed sick days. When we do get to take one, it's very rare. I had my gall bladder out a few months after giving birth to my dau. I still had to do a lot with her care, mainly b/c I was BF-ing her. When I broke 3 ribs a few years later, I found my limits & asked for help w/ laundry & grocery shopping. Having a cooperative husb. & 2 able-bodied boys helped during that time. Don't over do it, or you will regret it. And when it comes to your diet, avoid greasy, fatty, rich & spicy. Trust me on that! Feel better! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Yup I did as a matter of fact.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I tried but it was hard having a job and needing the money the 2nd time and the 3rd time I had a 2 year old and an almost 1 year old.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Rest as much as you can. You do not want to hurt yourself. It will take even more time to heal.

Answer by louise2 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2013