Pygmy goats

We are thinking about getting some in the future and I was wondering if any of you moms had experience with them.
We have plenty of space and will build an enclosure and small house for them. We plan to start with two females. We do have some predators like coyotes in the area, any ideas on how to keep goats safe? or any other thoughts or info?

tessiedawg

Asked by tessiedawg at 4:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Pets

• I have a dear friend who raises goats, makes cheese and such. You need to have some kind of barn for them, and plenty of hay etc. they are not the nicest creatures in the world, and as PP said they poop like crazy. I would say if you want them for a pet, I can think of about 100 others to get, now if you want them for milk etc. that is another thing. Please don't buy a goat, they have goat adoptions the same as dogs and cats! We have 2 ponies and they are much more friendly and loving than goats!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• A similar question was asked in one of my groups. It is for a different type of goat, but I thought you might be interested- http://www.cafemom.com/group/112966/forums/read/18267386/Who_has_meat_goats

Also, one of my friends raised a goat because her daughter wanted one. She took the goat to shows and won several awards but the goat was very susceptible to illness and had to spend several hundred dollars on medicine for an animal that might or might not live.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• The only thing I know about them is that they are non-stop poop machines. :p Hopefully others will know a little more. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• The only thing I know about them from some friends who had a couple is that they are flock animals. So if you have one, it will bleat nonstop and make you miserable because it will be lonely. Get at least two.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Cool! Thanks for the input. I'm still in the investigative stage. The goat adoption idea is a great one. Other than our hamster, all of our pets have been rescued. My DH's best friend has two ponies and a plow horse, and they are all so great!
    Our street has miniature donkeys, alpaca and a really HUGE cow named April as well as many, many chickens on it. All are primarily pets, although the chickens lay great eggs. So I know whatever we do I will have other farm pet keepers nearby to ask questions of which I have many. :)
    tessiedawg

Comment by tessiedawg (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2013