Should I take the bags back to the store (details inside)? What would you do?

I work at a school and this year for Earth Day, I extended an invitation for all classes to participate in the Earth Day Groceries Project with me. The project is basically a grocery store will lend you paper bags, the classrooms decorate the bags with Earth Day themes and is taken back to the store and used to bag groceries. The customer sees the Earth Day messages and hopefully enjoys them and recycles them.

I sent out an invitation for the teachers to participate in this with their class and even offered to take the bags back to the store. This afternoon I was surprised to see that a class had already finished their bags. I was even more surprised to find that they were decorated with "Happy Easter" themes. Okay, that's fine, I will take them tomorrow so that they can be used before Easter. That wasn't the point of the project, but oh well. What bothers me is that almost half of the bags have "I love God" on there. That seems fishy to me. It seems like the teacher told them to put certain phrases on there. I have a problem with that especially since it is a public school. 

So my dilemma is, what do I do with the bags? When I spoke with the owner, I had explained that they would be used for Earth Day and now I am bring Easter ones. I know that the owner probably won't mind since he is a pastor of a church. If I received one of those bags, I would think that a Sunday School classroom probably decorated them and wouldn't mind at all. However, that is not the case. I have a huge problem with this teacher doing this. So, what would you do with the bags?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 4:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I wouldn't bring I live God bags. It could go to the wrong person and land the store in hot water. Maybe find the one's the created them and ask they create another one but give a list of things they can say. Don't tell them what they did wrong.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I guess I would talk to the owner of the grocery store since you've already spoken to him. I agree it was wrong of the teacher. This was clearly an Earth Day project.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• In the spirit of Earth Day, I'd probably give the bags to the owner and explain that the class didn't seem to understand that the project was for Earth Day, not Easter . . . but perhaps he'd like to give his customers the choice.  I'm sure that many would love to have those bags for their groceries.  I'd probably also send a note to the teacher thanking her for the work she had the kids do, but also mention that since it was an Earth Day project, they may not be used for the purpose intended - since Easter is just a few days away.  I'd be upset to learn that the teacher was putting a religious spin on a project meant to raise awareness for Earth Day.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Take them to the store and let the manager decide what he wants to do. It's his choice.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Take them to a church sponsered food bank, clothing store whatever, you can't take them to school, so keep them if you can't find a home for them, it was a nice gesture, but really did he have to stamp them?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Baconbits, that is true, they are his bags.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• or shred them for easter grass?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Jerseydiva, I think you misread the post. A classroom decorated the bags, not the store owner.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• How do you know for a fact that the Teacher TOLD the kids to write that? How old are the kids? Maybe they go to Religious School to practice for making their Communion or Confirmation & they relate Easter with God which is actually correct. I would not jump to the conclusion that it's all the Teachers fault & I would not mind what a grocery bag said as long as it held my groceries. For real C'mon.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• BTW to most small kids, Spring=Bunnies, Bunnies=Easter at this time of year.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2013