Ready for potty training?

So my son is 22 months old and he has shown an interest in the bathroom for a while and is now hitting his diaper at times, but I can't tell if he has to pee or if he has already peed when he does this. I'll ask him if he has to go potty and he tells me yes. So then we go to his potty and he wants to sit on it, but refuses to sit on it without a diaper on. I'm not sure on how to take this. Is he just interested? Or is he ready? And how should I start? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son's almost 19 months old and starting to show signs of being ready too. What I do is put him on the potty before he gets in the tub. Since he's already naked its not hard to get him to sit on it. I figure this way when he is more ready he will at least know what it feels to sit on it without a diaper. Not a proven potty training technique, but a start.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My little girl is 24 months and we have been potty training for a few weeks any time we go to bathroom we put her on her potty anf before tubby time. I ask her all day you got to go potty and she sits there most of the time but I hope eventually she will get it. Good luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Usually kids don't get it until just after 2, all three of my kids were fully trianed shorty after turning two, but before that they showed interest and would use it sometimes. Encourage him, and try to time him for potty times, get him pull ups and constantly ask him if he has to potty, make him sit on the potty when you sit on the potty. Read books and show him movies if you can. I have a movie called Joshua's Potty, my son loved it and it helped him.
    raenad

Answer by raenad at 2:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Also, once my kids displayed that they knew when they had to go, I put underwear on them and if they made a mistake I washed them and put new ones on. This helped my daughters in a matter of days, but my son took a couple of weeks. I let him sleep with no under wear too, because sometimes he had accidents at night when I stopped putting the pull ups on him at night. There was too much dirty briefs around, that reduced it.
    raenad

Answer by raenad at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Don't ask him if he has to go. He will most likely tell you no. Why?
    (1) "No" is a favorite word of 2 and 3 year olds.
    (2) He'll quickly learn that if he says "yes" then you will take him away from his toys and make him sit in the bathroom.

Simply put him on a schedule and take him often or take him every time you go. Once he "gets it" and is going in the potty often, you can switch to keeping track of how long its been and just make sure he gets to the bathroom every 2 hours or so.
    But do not expect him to tell you he has to go or to answer "yes" for a LONG time. As I said, doing either of these means he has to leave his toys, leave his TV show, leave his play. It takes emotional maturity to do those things.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009