Drinking and driving. What kind of argument is this?

A while back I was talking to a friend that had a DUI charge back from 2006. They argued that they should have never been charged it and it was BS. They argued they got so drunk they blacked out and don't remember getting behind the wheel of their car and feels they shouldn't be healed liable. They say because they were so drunk and blacked out they weren't the one making the decisions. Claims if they didn't get drunk to the point of blacking out they would have never driven drunk.
I argued with them that they choose to drink to the point of not remembering a damn thing and they said they don't remember drinking so much so they still shouldn't have given a DUI or at least given a lighter sentence.
What kind of argument is that?! I told them they could have killed someone and they said it wouldn't have been their fault since they wouldn't remember anything. Seriously?! Needless to say we are no longer friends.
Oh and they are trying to get the DUI off their record because they don't believe they should have ever been charged.
What do you think of this argument?
What is lamest drinking and driving excuse have you heard?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Health

• were they also drunk when they made this argument?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• They are a complete moron.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• they choose to drink to the point of not remembering a damn thing

This is why it's still their fault.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• What a load... one good thing is if your friend uses that excuse in court he will never get the record expunged. Judges like to work with people who are remorseful, and can demonstrate they have learned from their mistake!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Wow.
    bmom42

Answer by bmom42 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• Although not as serious an offense this reminds me of an old friend I had that once justified stealing make up (at like 22 years old) by saying she shouldn't have to pay to look good. Ha!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• A responsible person arranges for a designated driver if they know they are in for a night of drinking. Whoever was with this person or serving her the alcohol is just as responsible for not taking her keys & calling her a cab. Sadly, if they don't own their mistakes, they are likely to repeat them. Hopefully no innocent person will be harmed by their reckless behavior.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• It sounds more like an alcoholic problem to me, and yet they make this available to everyone, and it is legal to drink.......she is lucky she did not kill someone in the process....

Answer by older at 6:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• That's a bullshit argument if I ever heard one. The person chose to drink and then drove a car, period. End of story. So if he had killed someone, then would that person be not really dead, since the driver shouldn't have been charged with DUI?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I have heard some these type of ecues or ther offencesas well. Ifyou drink or takedrugs you know what CULD hppen. is your responsibilit.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2013