Have you ever scratched the white part of your eye & made it bleed?

I did that this morning while getting dressed. It hurt like I poked my eye, but later when I looked in the mirror, I saw a big blood spot. It's been there all day. Just wondering how long it will take for it to heal. It doesn't hurt, just looks bad.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2013 in Health

• Please, it's very important that you pay close attention to your vision during this time. If you scratched your eye enough that you can see a blood spot, there's a chance that you could have bled inside your eye. If that happens, you may need rops to help the blood be reabsorbed before it damages your eye. Be very awre of anything floating in your vision, or strange spots or colors. If you see anything like that, seek medical treatment right away. I had some light perception in one eye till my twenties. I couldn't see colors, but I could see shadows, light and dark, and the contrast of surfaces like cement and grass. I walked into a tree branch that overhung the sidewalk. It didn't hurt all that much at the time, so I ignored it. Then a week or two later--New Year's Eve, I'll never forget--I ended up in the emergency room in terrible pain. My eye had hemorrhaged. I lost the last of my light vision. (cont)
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• I've scratched it, but I don't think I've ever made it bleed. But I know how much it hurt when I do it (yes, I seem to do it repeatedly. You'd think I'd learn, but no, apparently I don't), so I feel for you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• no, but i have burst a vessel giving birth
    took at least a month to clear up completely
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• it will take quite a while... eye's aren't exactly quick to heal!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• You sure it's not a broken blood vessel?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• The doctor said if I'd been able to see, I would have noticed foaters or strange spots in my field of vision in time to catch the hemorrhage before it wiped out my light perception, which slowed down my traveling speed a lot. You're probably fine, but please be extra vigilant till the spot heals.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2013

• ^^^A month?! Oh great! I wear eye liner. Hope that doesn't irritate it. :/

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2013